What's the difference between a '91-'92 Base and a '91-'92 Pioneer?

What are the differences between a '91-'92 Base and a '91-'92 Pioneer? Me and my parents have an interest in buying a '91 or '92 4.0L Long Bed Bench Seat Automatic Comanche, but dad doesn't like the GM supplied 2 spoke "Station Wagon" steering wheel. Did the base trucks come with the "Station Wagon" steering wheel at that point, or did they come with the three spoke one used on the Pioneers?

Pioneer standard features over Base per my 1991 sales brochure:

- Short or long bed (according to my brochure, base shortbed = SporTruck. Not sure if that's true or not)

- Graphics

- Power steering

- 15x7 wheels with black hub caps

- Color keyed fender flares

- Black windshield and side body moldings

- "Hockey stick" armrests

- Carpeted cab backing

- Carpet

- Fabric bench seat, buckets optional

- 3-spoke steering wheel, color keyed (the station wagon wheel wasn't even available by '91)

Pioneer was a middle ground between Base and Eliminator. You could pretty much option it up however you liked, from essentially a striped Base truck to almost Eliminator level (although those awesome cushy bucket seats were Eliminator only)

I should probably scan my sales brochure and post it up here. It's got some great pictures.

If the steering wheel isn't to your liking there are literally millions of steering wheels out there that will fit. If you have a harmonic balancer puller or a steering wheel puller it should take no more than 5 minutes. Only thing that could possibly present a problem is getting it on straight.

The two spoke wheel wasn't even offered from the factory on the 91 and up base or whatever trim MJ.

I wonder if GM needed all the two spokes it could make for it's P-30 "Bread Van" Chassis, as those used the two spoke up to at least 1999. That is why I asked if the base trucks still had the same steering wheel.

The "hockey stick" armrests are on the door cards, so they're the same as the front doors. There was also a centre console available, to go between buckets, pretty well the same as the XJ's as well. Don't think there was ever a centre armrest/console that went with the bench.

The "hockey stick" armrests are on the door cards, so they're the same as the front doors. There was also a centre console available, to go between buckets, pretty well the same as the XJ's as well. Don't think there was ever a centre armrest/console that went with the bench.

I was wonder if the rear door armrests from the Cherokee were the same as the base Comanche door ones, as I think that the rear door armrests on the Cherokee were rectangular.

Pioneer standard features over Base per my 1991 sales brochure:

- Short or long bed (according to my brochure, base shortbed = SporTruck. Not sure if that's true or not)

- Graphics

- Power steering

- 15x7 wheels with black hub caps

- Color keyed fender flares

- Black windshield and side body moldings

- "Hockey stick" armrests

- Carpeted cab backing

- Carpet

- Fabric bench seat, buckets optional

- 3-spoke steering wheel, color keyed (the station wagon wheel wasn't even available by '91)

Pioneer was a middle ground between Base and Eliminator. You could pretty much option it up however you liked, from essentially a striped Base truck to almost Eliminator level (although those awesome cushy bucket seats were Eliminator only)

I should probably scan my sales brochure and post it up here. It's got some great pictures.

That sounds like a good idea.

:yeah that:

Unfortunately the idiot cluster never went away. Not even after 1997. I like the way the gauges look more than the 87/88+ full cluster, but it's just useless.

Side note: I don't think I've EVER seen a 91+ 3/4 cluster.

:yeah that:

Unfortunately the idiot cluster never went away. Not even after 1997. I like the way the gauges look more than the 87/88+ full cluster, but it's just useless.

Side note: I don't think I've EVER seen a 91+ 3/4 cluster.

Same Here, as I like the look of the idiot cluster better, as the style fits the look of dash more. Column Shift autos only came with the idiot lights.