Tailpipe routing for deep water

Right now my muffler ends at the beginning of the bed "LWB". I'm preparing the MJ for worst case, stuck in deep mud/water. I'm not 100% sure if shutting off the engine and letting the water into the exhaust piping would do anything, or mess up the engine.

So my question is, what do yall recommend me routing the tailpipe to keep water out if i get stuck and have to stop the engine?

I was thinking, stop the tailpipe soon as it aims down after the rear axle.

I'm not doing a smoke stack. lol

I was thinking, stop the tailpipe soon as it aims down after the rear axle.

That will put the height of the output basically exactly the same as it is now -- you're just adding a few feet of length. Are you counting on the bend over the axle to act like the inverse of a plumbing trap and create an air pocket to stop water from getting in? If the water is deep enough to be higher than that bend, and thus deep enough to do bad things to the engine, I don't think it will make any difference.

I did a side exit, its higher then if the tail pipe is under the bed. 

The Comanche is not a boat, I usually don't go deeper then 1/2 the tire height. In any off-road truck I have, I avoid going over 1/2 the tire height. Worst case is 3/4, after that I look for a different path, or get a boat.    

Image Not Found

if it was a bad thing, there would be a LOT fewer guys backing their boats into the water. :yes:

an engine that is cranking over should have no trouble pushing water out the back end.  it's just water. :thumbsup:  

buuuuuuut, if you're SO submerged that water is above the headers (essentially submerging the whole exhaust system), then water could hypothetically fill the whole pipe and get into your block.  don't do that. :no:

on an unrelated note, I now want an exhaust flapper thingie.  just because. :D

Thanks. I routed the exhaust between the frame and bed, there is a large gap there. I used a muffler with the in / out on the same side, common on Mustangs. That way the muffler is hung near original location and back some, for better weight distribution.  I got the Tip on EBay, just a normal ~4" tip burnt blue. The plate is from SRT 10 RAM, aftermarket. 

Here are some routing pictures:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

OK, now I want a side exit WITH a flapper.  Mostly so people can SEE it and believe that I'm super cool B)

But seriously,  I like the side exit job.  It might be a difficult mod, but for a regular off road rig, encountering a lot of water, it'd be the way I'd go.  Especially since stacks look incredibly stupid for a small (or any) pickup truck.  But, the chance of me driving in water, as opposed to just through it is extremely unlikely.  If I don't know how deep it is, I'm not driving through it.