Mnkyboys other MJ Project.

A few weeks ago my brother drug this MJ home,it's an 87 2.5l AX4 short box 4x4.

The guy said it ran fine but the clutch was slipping and one day there was a pop and the clutch quit,he figured something had come apart in the clutch.

When we looked at it the engine wouldn't turn over.

My brother had no plans for the truck it was just a good deal so he got it,I went back and forth on buying it from him and finally decided to look it over better.

I pulled the transmission and found the clutch was fried but still in one piece,and the engine was still stuck. with further investigation i found a smashed valve on cylinder #1,looks like the clutch was slipping really bad and the guy was determined to make it move.

I thought about it a bit and after some horse trading with my brother the little MJ was mine.

I have a spare engine for my other MJ that I can stick in it to get it going again then the plan is to take all the old parts from my other MJ and stuff them under it.

I have a 6.5" lift,33" tires,a late model D30 and disc brake D44 both locked with 4.88s along with some other stuff from the build.

Plan for this one is a driver thats capable enough for some mild wheeling and I will use my other one for the crazy stuff.

• 1 month later...

Saturday i decided to pop the head off and see if the engine was repairable,the broken valve was jammed in the head and the piston was trashed which wasn't surprising.

The piston was also cocked a little in the bore,i got it to move and found that the block is cracked.

I figured the engine would need replaced and now it's confirmed,it's just too bad that the engine won't even make a good core to hang onto.

Looks like this one is going 4.0l and AX15.

I worked a deal with a buddy for a strong running 4.0l donor rig so the blown up 2.5l paperweight is coming out and a 4.0l is going in.

I should be picking up the donor soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So i got a tempting offer. A buddy picked up a 91 MJ with a 2.5l,since he knows that i like the 2.5ls he asked me if i would be interested in the 4banger parts because he is putting in a 4.0l.

He will sell me everything to 2.5 MPI swap the MJ,I already have a 4.0l,AX15,wiring,and other parts for a 4.0l swap but I originally wanted to keep this truck a 2.5l.

decisions decisions....

I know we already talked about it on messenger but here is the ratios for an AX4,AX5 is the same but with .85 overdrive.

1st is almost 4:1 so it feels pretty deep,I think thats how i got away with 3.55s and 33s.

Number of forward gears

1st Gear 3.93

2nd Gear 2.33

3rd Gear 1.45

4th Gear 1.00

Reverse 4.74

• 2 months later...

Went tonight and picked up the 91 2.5l MPI, 2 AX5s, a 231,and some other stuff.

They haven't finished tearing down the donor MJ but I will be getting the wiring harness and some other stuff from it too.

Now I have a 4.0l swap and a 2.5l MPI swap sitting here.

Call me biased, but I think that it should stay with the w.5, albeit with the MPFI system. When I got mine, I thought zi was going to yank it the first week I had my truck, but I've really come to enjoy the smaller engine.

I like the idea of the MPI 2.5l,both of my MJs would have the same set up.

I can keep the 4.0l as a spare for my XJ.

Once the supercharger goes on the 89 I can move the ported 4.0l TB and modified TB spacer to this engine,then find a header and camshaft to make this one a milder version of the current set up in the 89.

I like the idea of the MPI 2.5l,both of my MJs would have the same set up.

I can keep the 4.0l as a spare for my XJ.

Once the supercharger goes on the 89 I can move the ported 4.0l TB and modified TB spacer to this engine,then find a header and camshaft to make this one a milder version of the current set up in the 89.

That would be a neat ride.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Some changes to the plan,my boy had been very interested in the MJ and wanted to rebuild it so i gave it to him.

We are unsure what it will be getting for axles and stuff as he wants to make it a driver so he doesn't really need the lockers and stuff.

We stripped a spare 95 2.5l i had laying around and are rebuilding it to replace the bad engine,the new one will probably stay TBI.

He finally got the old 2.5l out tonight.