242 rebuild and SYE questions

Well I was planning on using a 242 tcase that I picked up that had a hack n tap SYE already installed but now I have to break it open to do a rebuild maybe.  So questions are, does anyone know what SYE kit this is?(I know, hard to say with just these pics) 

Is there a really good DIY video or thread somewhere that steps through a complete rebuild?  Which rebuild kit should I get that would be ok with the SYE?

Bad stuff.

After breaking both rear springs and snapping the rear driveshaft (axle being held under the truck by just the shocks) I'm glad I installed a SYE. Managed to tow it back to camp (a few miles) without losing any fluid from the t-case.

Now that I replaced the springs I can still tool around in it in front wheel drive.

The later model, at least 96+ T-case is sealed unlike the early ones. SO that would be a good solution for that. Not 100% on it, but I would think that the sealed back piece of the t-case could be bolted on to the older case. Thus, sealing it. 

After breaking both rear springs and snapping the rear driveshaft (axle being held under the truck by just the shocks) I'm glad I installed a SYE. Managed to tow it back to camp (a few miles) without losing any fluid from the t-case.

Now that I replaced the springs I can still tool around in it in front wheel drive.

With a "hack-n-tap" any rebuild kit will work. The hack-n-tap kit is nothing but an output slip joint that terminates in a flange instead of a yoke, and it has a hole in the center so it can be bolted to the tailshaft. The transfer case itself is completely untouched (except for cutting the tip off the tailshaft).

With a "hack-n-tap" any rebuild kit will work. The hack-n-tap kit is nothing but an output slip joint that terminates in a flange instead of a yoke, and it has a hole in the center so it can be bolted to the tailshaft. The transfer case itself is completely untouched (except for cutting the tip off the tailshaft).

Thats good to know. :thumbsup:

Yes, the only reason I'm looking at going with the hack-n-tap is to have the option of limping home should the rear driveshaft get fubar.

Finally pulled the tail housing to confirm what I thougth had happen. 

Anyone ever have the oil pump come apart like this?  What would cause this to happen?  Also, at this point, should I be able to lift the shaft and it come up a inch or so?

Looking at this I might have just put in a new oil pump and called it good.

However, this missing piece of the oil pump tells me to pull it all apart.

Split the tcase.  The magnet seems to have done its job.

Inside looks ok but I'm probably going to rebuild the other 242 tcase I have and just use the output shaft and chain from this one.

Well after doing a lot of searching I believe I've solved some of the mystery behind this tcase.  I'm pretty sure this is a Tom Woods SYE kit. http://www.4xshaft.com/conversions.html

It's the only one that matches what mine looks like.  As far as what caused the damage to the oil pump, I believe it was caused by the main shaft having almost a 1/4 inch of play. 

That play was caused by the snap ring not being installed in the tail cone housing. 

When I pulled it apart there was no snap ring which let the tail cone housing come right off.  After watching several youtube videos, I know there should have been one.  Figure the shaft being able to move that much back and forth cause the gear for the oil pump to break and get pulverized into the goo that ended up on the magnet.  I would bet the guy that sold this to me knew it had some damage. :fs1:   It would have made some noise with that crap rattling around inside.