Quick XJ question

Does anyone happen to know what size bolts are used for the upper mounts on the rear shocks? I need to replace the shocks on the '01 XJ I bought for my daughter. The underside has more rust than any vehicle should ever see, so I'm anticipating that I'm going to snap at least a couple of them and have to drill and retap. I'd like to have the new bolts available before I start.

Thanks.

As far as the bolts coming out in one piece like you said some(if not all) will probably break . I prefer instead of drilling and tapping for new bolt holes , using a air hammer and punch the old welded nuts out and install new nutserts or using a nut held on the backside of the crossmember with a wrench an tighten the bolt . I just did this on my 99 Xj

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1042527

Unless 01 is different , I used a piece of masking tape over top of the nut with a 13 mm wrench ( if you need more length I interlocked and taped a 14mm wrench to the 13mm wrench ) and fished the nut with the wrench in the access hole of the upper part of Pete's picture . But as the guy in the link did, he fished the bolt up through the same access hole and let the thread dangle .

I've tried to find a better link , but so far this is what I've found .

This is to get a better idea .

not sure on the size of the actual bolt but once you figure that out you might as well just install bar pin eliminators that way you don't have to deal with those 2 bolts ever again. Also look for a company call Fastenal they are huge nation wide chain and they have/can get any kind of fastener and much more if you don't have one nearby I could always get a certain size bolt and mail it to ya I work right next door to a Fastenal 

If you spend some time under there, you can see that the top end is pretty wrenchable. I soaked mine for a week, and with very delicate 1/4 turns out, 1/8 turns back in, ended up coming out. My cousin's XJ wasn't so lucky. I just took an air hammer with a pointed tip. A quick zap in the middle pops the nuts off, then like Adam said, tape the nut to the closed end of a wrench, and fish it up there.

Rob

Snap the bolt off, drill out to accept a larger bolt.

Fish bolt down from top, use lock washer.

I made up my own bar-pin eliminators in about 20 minutes with some 3/16x1.5 bar stock.

Zap it with an impact.

Use MJ stock rear shocks.

Never look back.

Front shocks from XJ are the same as MJ. Rear MJ shocks are eye-to-eye mounting vs XJ lower eye, top is bar pin. You can press in a bar pin or make, buy use a bar pin elim.

And hornbrod, 

What they were trying to say is that the sway bar mount as a BPE turns the head/bushing 90 degrees from factory mounting. Which in theory puts torsional force on the shock as it moves since the lower mount faces the same way. 

And hornbrod, What they were trying to say is that the sway bar mount as a BPE turns the head/bushing 90 degrees from factory mounting. Which in theory puts torsional force on the shock as it moves since the lower mount faces the same way.

Thanks for clarifying Crash, understand. It never occurred to me to use a sway bay mount as a shock BPE. Apples and oranges.........