To buy or not to buy

Hi I have never owned a Comanche before or know anything about them I live in the Virgin Islands but a friend of mine has one in not so good shape for sale he is askin $500 it drives and everything I think the 4wd works also but the body is in not so good shape and seriously needs some body work done has rusty spots here and there just wanted to know if I should buy it and would parts and stuff be easy to find and would I be able to get help I case I wanted to restore it...thanks in advance

Getting parts for a XJ, MJ or any Jeep is about the simplest thing in the world. Unless you live on an island in the middle of the ocean. Buy it. Try it. go from there. Parts are plentiful and the comancheclub.com has some very knowledgeable and friendly help.

Getting parts for a XJ, MJ or any Jeep is about the simplest thing in the world. Unless you live on an island in the middle of the ocean. Buy it. Try it. go from there. Parts are plentiful and the comancheclub.com has some very knowledgeable and friendly help.

Could not say it any better. I happen to live on an island in the middle of the ocean. :D Finding parts isn't very hard. It's the getting them shipped there that's the hard part. Small stuff is easy just use USPS. The bigger stuff you need to have a great group of guys willing to help out. Luckily this is just the place for it. I am so glad I found the club. The guys here are friendly and very helpful.

thanks guys and yes i do live on an island in the middle of the ocean lol... i guess shipping here from US mainland isnt all that bad and as for getting parts here on the island itself i think is gonna be the most difficult thing cause in the 4 years ive been living here i have never seen a jeep comanche on the road anywhere..there are tons of cherokees and wranglers and libertys and so on all over the island just not comanche...heck i didnt even know jeep made trucks lol...until i decided i wanted a truck for my frequent visits to the beach so decided to look around stumbled upon this comanche truck so decided to look it up and found your wonderful forum was amazed to see what you guys have done to ur trucks they're bad @$$ feel inspired to go try to build something myself my mechanic skills are pretty poor but i think i'll get myself this lil project and see what i can make of it and like ggcnash said i guess $500 for something that runs isnt half bad...thanks again for the responses guys hopefully will get some pictures on here soon enough.. . :MJ 1: .

If its any consolation I had NO mechanical skills at all when I got my Comanche. When something would break, or I would decide to fix something, I would come here, search for a write-up, and fix it. I have learned so much just reading the Tech Forum everyday. Plus the Comanche is an amazingly resilient and hardy truck. Nothing has stopped mine yet.  :crossfingers:  Good luck with it.

Thanks for the consolation buckwheat you guys are cool..so excited can't even fall asleep just on here checking out the builds pretty neat stuff can't wait to be an official owner

... as for getting parts here on the island itself i think is gonna be the most difficult thing cause in the 4 years ive been living here i have never seen a jeep comanche on the road anywhere..there are tons of cherokees and wranglers and libertys and so on all over the island just not comanche...

Your salvation is the fact that the Comanche is nothing but the pickup truck variant of the Cherokee. Everything from the rear of the cab forward interchanges with Cherokees of similar vintage (except the seat brackets). Even the doors are the same as 4-door Cherokee front doors.

Unless you live on an island in the middle of the ocean.

He stated he lives in the Virgin Islands.  I think that qualifies as an island in the middle of the ocean lol

Err, I think you missed Jim's tongue-in-cheek bon mot entirely mate.

Unless you live on an island in the middle of the ocean.

He stated he lives in the Virgin Islands.  I think that qualifies as an island in the middle of the ocean lol

Err, I think you missed Jim's tongue-in-cheek bon mot entirely mate

Dry humor and tounge in cheek doesn't always translate well across forums.  I am also a very literal person so I probably did miss it.

I hoping it will look much better soon started a project thread wanna start work on rebuilding the engine anyone know where to get a good rebuild kit please let me know

Just found an xj heard some of the parts fit...is there somewhere on here someone has a list of what parts are swappable from xj to mj with little to no modifications? Cause thinking of buying it as a donor owner wants $200 without the tranny..

List: everything front doors and forward to the front bumper. 1990 and down 1991 and up. There's another break at 1997 when the doors and front sheet metal changed slightly and 1996 went to OBDII electrical.

wow cool...mister maniac man.. so i'm guessing its a good idea to buy an xj as a donor...what about axels and stuff i notice its a big thing with mj..axel swapping what are the pros and cons cause what I'm aiming for with my build is a daily driver with a little off roading..besides living on the island with the terrible roads here...off roading is a must so any build suggestions for a daily driver with a nice lift and suitable for a little off roading as well...all input is greatly appreciate