Saveable MJ???

So, here's the deal. I got an 87 MJ for a really great price from a fella in the neighborhood. It's sat in his driveway for a long time. On day I stopped in and struck up a conversation about it. I ended up buying it that day. I took it home and got it running and stopping again. I knew it had some "frame" rust but didn't think it was as bad as it is. MJ's in my area are about as common as find a sack of money in the road... Here are pics

h

The rust runs all the way up to the tranny crossmember. What do you all think? Is she saveable?

that's about as bad as I've ever seen :(  how good are you with a welder?  tube bender?  I mean, it's a frame, not rocket science.  if you can build one, you're golden. :D

having said that, you can get a rust free one from Jim (who lives in CO) shipped to your door for less than 1500.

Yes. All have hail damage. Some have rust but nothing like yours. Many years ago I learned the trick of removing hail dents with a torch and wet cloth. Been thinking about trying it and seeing if I can still do it. So far just been too disgusted to mess with them.

Yes. All have hail damage. Some have rust but nothing like yours. Many years ago I learned the trick of removing hail dents with a torch and wet cloth. Been thinking about trying it and seeing if I can still do it. So far just been too disgusted to mess with them.

spoken like a true non-rustbeltian.  :D

I'd be interested in knowing what you have for sale. I really just need the shell but whatcha got?

No you don't need the shell -- you need the rear frame. Don't forget, MJs are unit body under the cab. If you're REALLY good with a welder, you could have Jim cut off a frame and ship that to you -- but that would mean destroying one of his complete trucks.

The frame is basically sheet metal. It would be work, but if I were in your situation I would go shopping for some sheet metal and start re-building the frame. I wouldn't tube it -- I'm sort of a purist, so I would try to make it look as original as possible. Maybe see if Jim (or someone) can make you drawings or tracings of what a solid frame should look like so you have a decent pattern for making the repair sections.

If you need help, I'm just across the river in parkville. You may use my truck sub frame as a template if you hit a snag. You're welcome to crawl under it for whatever info you're looking for.

That's not hard to fix. Couple of cut off wheels, a grinder (for lunch), and a spool of wire and that's good to go. I'd go over kill and probably find some 10-12ga and rebuild with that being there such large sections

well...  I've searched the ole inner web, thought about it long and hard and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to fix it.  Let the cutting begin!

YAY!!!!

yeah well, as much as I'm for saving all MJs, Jim just hauled some rust free MJs to the junkyard because no one would buy them.  :(  I guess I'm more for saving rust free ones than rusted out ones.