BA-10 >> AW4. Shifter cable??

It's a stupid question, I know, but I can't seem to make sense of things right now.  I'm swapping from renix to HO, BA-10 to AW4, and 2WD to 4WD at the same time in an 89?? comanche.  I have everything I need (I think) for this swap.  

I have two potential cables for this.  The smaller cable (~20" or so) that came with the drivetrain and a larger cable (~50") that I bought because I thought it was needed to fit the firewall on the older model MJ.  For the 20" cable the hole id definitely not there (supposed to be ~3-4" toward the center of the car from the mount of the gas pedal from what I can tell).  I read on here that a longer cable may be needed and it should go through the hole to the right (from the front of the car) of the fuel cable.  The only problem with this is that the cable clamp/fitting/doodad/adjuster that is attaches to the front of the shift gate is too big to go through the firewall hole.

There's many questions to be asked from here, but the main one is am I right??  Does the longer cable go through this hole or do I need to hunt something else down?  I'm not afraid to make the hole larger, but only if it needs to be. 

XJ floor shifter. ::edit:: the main issue I am hiving is that there is no hole in the location that it is on the xj's I've looked at for the shorter cable (stock to the xj driveline).  Not even a little plug that could be punched out from what I can tell and I'd rather not drill holes just to be drilling holes to get the parts I have to work.  I'd rather get it done right while it's blown apart...

I'm talking about the one that goes from the shift gate on the floor, through the firewall, and down to the transmission.  Not the cable coming from the throttle body.

When I swapped the drivetrain into my 89 Comanche (that was manual )from a 95 xj with a floor shifter I had to drill the hole in the firewall for the cable in the location 3-4 inches from the pedal as you described . I used the shift cable that came with the 95 xj there was a thread on this but I can't find it . Alexia had a pic of the firewall somewhere .

The hole is already there in the front of the tunnel (it was on mine when I went from BA/10 to AW4).  It is a bi#@$h to find but it is there.  I looked long and hard for it.  It goes directly from the shifter mechanism...straight ahead. 

To find it I had to lay under the Jeep and stick my hand way up between the firewall and bell housing.  A rubber plug, not in the center of the tunnel...a bit offset to one side. Very hard to get to, Once you get to it you will say...ahaa!!

The cable was already attached to the AW4 when I got it so I never had to buy one.  It seemed fairly short

Page 10 of my Project Onyx build. About half way down is a picture of the plug you're looking for.

Yep, I knew it was offset...couldn't remember which side.  It looks a whole lot different with the engine/tranny out.  So, to the OP, just imagine the engine is out...and there it is, no drilling required :driving:

Would the answers change if I said it was an '88??  I found the titel and I was wrong on the year.  

I had the engine out, definitely no hole.  I have the dash out (and sound deadening pad), definitely no hole where its "supposed" to be.  I do have a rubber grommet that is 3" in front of the shifter on the tunnel, but nothing on the firewall...  There MIGHT be a pilot hole there, but nothing nearly big enough to fit the cable end through.