horn works when it wants to, i'm due to inspection this month

so my horn works when it wants to, it all started when my horn button got pulled off, but i've been told check a relay, check grounds, any idea where i should start before i go chasin wires today, it's really gettin up under my skin, it's an 86 MJ carbed 2.8

Redwolf

Mine started acting up and I pulled the horn button from the center of the steering wheel and sprayed the contacts with electrical contact cleaner.

Me too.  The "cup" was rusty as was the wire contacts, when I got a new (junkyard) tilt column.  The horn used to sound like a sick calf.  I also pulled the actual horns, cleaned the mounting point and connectors all shiny & tight and cleaned mud and other crap off the horns. Sounds like new.

Mine started acting up and I pulled the horn button from the center of the steering wheel and sprayed the contacts with electrical contact cleaner.

Me too.  The "cup" was rusty as was the wire contacts, when I got a new (junkyard) tilt column.  The horn used to sound like a sick calf.  I also pulled the actual horns, cleaned the mounting point and connectors all shiny & tight and cleaned mud and other crap off the horns. Sounds like new.

i started with cleaning the connectors on the back of the horn button and it's still off and on, not as much as before though (knock on wood) i just wonder if my 2 spoked horn button bein cracked near the center is causing the issue,

Redwolf