Driveline grinding noise

Just finished a whole HO swap. Everything came out of my running and driving Cherokee.  now cruising down the road at about 40-50 mph you get a loud grinding noise. once you let off it goes away. the truck currently doesn't have any tcase linkage or a front shaft on it. I put the rear on stands and tried to simulate the noise. I got it to do it and put my hand on the tcase  and that's wheres the vibration seemed to be coming from. I shifted the tcase to 4 hi and retested noise still happened around the same speed. I wouldn't think it would be coming from the trans but I also don't understand how a tcase can go bad like that. any ideas? rear end seems to clunk a lot. I don't know if it could be that?

Try pulling the flex plate cover and look for scrape marks on the inner cover since you only get the noise under throttle. While it's off rotate the engine 360 and check for flex plate cracks and/or loose bolts.

Try pulling the flex plate cover and look for scrape marks on the inner cover since you only get the noise under throttle. While it's off rotate the engine 360 and check for flex plate cracks and/or loose bolts.

I will check that

try putting a pencil magnet in the fill hole to see if you can fish out any metal.  If you shift into neutral at speed does the noise/vibration go away? 

once you let off the noise goes away, I was going to try the magnet thing though

Did you change axles too?  I switched from a dana 35 to a Chrysler 8.25 (this is in my XJ) and picked up some rear end gear noise at about 45-55 mph.  Annoying but doubt it is serious.

Also, my XJ had a super annoying driveline hum and weird clunking noise.  Turned out to be the transmission rubber mount.  It looked fine, but was soaked with oil and super soft.  The clunk was the whole transmission and transfer case bumping up and down whenever I hit a slight bump.  New mount completely cured it.