3.4 swap question

I'm swapping the 3.4 fuel injected engine into my 86 comanche which was a 2.8 carbed. I've noticed that both my 2.8 and my 3.4 exhaust manifolds are rusted to $#!& with holes in it, and I can't find a replacement down here on Hawaii. So my question is, does anyone know if there is enough clearance for 3.4 headers?

They may be rusted to ^*^&%, but if they are cast iron and are not cracked or have any holes, just use em.

I believe he said "both my 2.8 and my 3.4 exhaust manifolds are rusted to $#!& with holes in it".

They may be rusted to ^*^&%, but if they are cast iron and are not cracked or have any holes, just use em.

I believe he said "both my 2.8 and my 3.4 exhaust manifolds are rusted to $#!& with holes in it".

You're right, he did.  Doh!  :doh: 

I agree with the S10 manifolds.  You could also possibly use 3.4 manifolds from a 3rd Gen Camaro/Firebird.

Thanks for the link outlaw star, and yeah as hornbrod re-pointed out they have holes in em unfortunately. I will probably be buying those from the link posted by outlaw they look pretty solid.

Why not swap in a SBC 350, LSx, etc. instead of the 3.4L? 

So many reasons!!  But he has the 3.4 is the very best reason. 

You should use the search feature and you will find some of them.  Like over heating, like nose heavy, like expensive kits, and there are lots of just of just plain hacked conversions out there.

^^this

I secretly wish I had a 2.8 truck so I could build a worked-over aluminum-headed 3.4 for it.  But then I think of the transmissions that came on them and the other oddities that come with '84-'86 XJ/MJs

Best of luck to you!  And for the record I'd stay away from tube headders if you have the option.  Grab some used cast manifolds from a Camaro/Firebird.  

Another semi-bolt in option, but would require more fab work would be a 3800 Series 1-3.  They share the same bolt pattern as the 60 degrees, so the transmission side isn't an issue.   I think a 3800 Supercharged would be a cool swap to do.

^^this

I secretly wish I had a 2.8 truck so I could build a worked-over aluminum-headed 3.4 for it. But then I think of the transmissions that came on them and the other oddities that come with '84-'86 XJ/MJs

Best of luck to you! And for the record I'd stay away from tube headders if you have the option. Grab some used cast manifolds from a Camaro/Firebird.

The TF904 is a good transmission and can be hopped up just like a TH350 or C6 can. My 71 Dodge Dart originally came with a Super 6 "Hyperpak" (145hp/215tq) and a TF904. I modded the engine with headers a camshaft and 390 4bbl carb. The 904, I beefed it up with a high stall converter, shift kit and TCI rebuild kit. It took a good amount of abuse and the Super 6 made three times more power than the 2.8L ever had.

The TF904 is a good transmission and can be hopped up just like a TH350 or C6 can. My 71 Dodge Dart originally came with a Super 6 "Hyperpak" (145hp/215tq) and a TF904. I modded the engine with headers a camshaft and 390 4bbl carb. The 904, I beefed it up with a high stall converter, shift kit and TCI rebuild kit. It took a good amount of abuse and the Super 6 made three times more power than the 2.8L ever had.

This may be true, but I was thinking of the standard trans options.  Wasn't it just the BA10?

This may be true, but I was thinking of the standard trans options. Wasn't it just the BA10?
That one, I won't touch. I thought you meant the automatic. Lol

standard trans in 86 is the AX-5 or AX-4 (or the much rarer t-4 or t-5).  BA-10 is 4.0 only.

and the AX-5 won't last long behind the 3800.  we had a member who installed one.