Crown Vic Interceptor........ may be my newest daily driver.....

Picked this '02 Police Interceptor up for CHEAP.  It's in such good shape, I'm gonna fix it and possibly drive it for a while. It was a command take home car so it's got the nice interior with carpet, not the burlap-ish seats and rubber floors.   Previous owner hit a deer.  Didn't damage the A/C or Radiator at all.  "Easy" fix.....

It's seen A LOT of dirt road driving...... lol

Have all the body parts coming to fix it, (ala former Denver PD parts car) then probably do a MAACO spray job.

Already deleted the spotlight and emergency equipment wiring.  Needs a fuel pump and one brake line that rubbed and burst against the chassis.  

Also plan on getting the old exhaust cut out, replacing with Flowmaster 40's and 3" tips.

Tires were bald and dry rotted so I snagged a set of 18" 2012 Challenger wheels.  Requires 1"-1.25" wheels spacers to look right, but will bolt up as they are with no problems - they just sit too far into the wheel wells for my liking.  Pic is using spacers for initial fit testing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice. I've always had this little thought in the back of my head that maybe a P71 would make a good second car (until I got the Thunderbird at least). I've always kind of liked these cars. Rims look good too. They look a lot like the Marauder wheels IMO.

Going to be a nice ride. Good to see Mr. O peeking out of the garage.  :yes:

The Olds?  Yeah, her name is Old Mary.  Named by my Grandfather.  She's not real happy with me and my vehicular A.D.D. .........

So I have had my interceptor for 8 years only been to the shop 4 times. Done many moves and thousands upon thousands of miles on it with across the country trips. Also a secret that I don't let to tell anyone. I haul my manche with it. Somehow that thing tows like a beast. I wouldn't test it with anything more than a stock comache but it has always done well since I put the tow package on it. Hope your is a good one. I love mine and will drive it to it's grave. 

As someone who maintains and oversees a police fleet, that is one of the most solid DD cars anyone can have. Problems have long been ironed out, the traditional drive train, while antiquated, is swiss watch reliable. Problems are few and minor. Worst things we have encountered are transmissions, which really aren't bad at all. We usually go Ford reman, which gets us a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. The transmissions on the way out will do a tell tale slip and bang if you are coasting at 25ish mph, let off for a second, and then put it to the floor. If it hesitates and slams (like break tires loose slam) it may be of concern.

If I had more room I would pick one up at auction. As lowly said, they actually tow decent also. A former coworker's father had one that he would hitch a car hauler to and tow around his classic cars... Even a 62 Galaxy 500 convertible.

Nice grab, have fun with it.

Rob

Loved my old '98 P71. Was my side car in highschool. Used to show off all the time in that thing. Loved the sound of the H-pipe and Loved that that wide track ford 8.8 posi 4.10 rear. Would smoke the tires leaving the parking lot every day. Would blow the doors off every other kids car too. Nobody ever beat me in a race.

I definitely miss my crown vic sometimes, especially on long drives.  Lowered with certain mustang wheels they tend to look really good.  

Yep, I wanted to find a set of those exact wheels - Mustang "fan blade" wheels. All the sets I could fiind must have been gold encased in aluminum...... everyone wanted a small fortune for them. That's why I went with the Challenger wheels, found a set cheap and they have a similar look.

Wonder how much that one in the pic has been lowered........ and if they just cut springs or if they make lowering kit springs for 'Vics?

That one in the pic was mine lol.  It was lowered 1.5" on eaton P71 spec lowering springs with P71 spec KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, and Heinous rear control arms.  Since it was a 2005, I didn't need the spacers to make the wheels fit.  The tires were 255/45-18 Bridgestone RE760 Sports, and it handled like a beast...which made up for it lack of acceleration lol (an LX with a 2.73 open diff...weeee)

Different angle on the same day.  This was right after installing the wheels and tires, springs still hadn't quite settled fully yet.

I got mine from AmericanMuscle.com on sale for like $40.  It definitely adds to the look of the car, but be warned that with a lowered crown vic, that lip will find just about every non-level driveway entrance and large speed bump lol

• 1 month later...

P71 harness has been removed..... nearly 20 lbs worth.

Image Not Found

Body work is done. Black lights and markers installed, chin spoiler installed, fresh fuel added, and a temp tag acquired. Runs and drives great! Daily driver time! Probably try emissions next week.

I really should paint those white tabs behind the grill black..........

Lookin good!  It's very common for people to black out those tabs to hide them.  Another thing you can do with the P71 grille is to paint the surround body color and leave the mesh black.  It really cleans up the look of the nose.

• 4 months later...

Wow, never knew crown vics could look so good. Maybe I should reconsider the trade offer my neighbor was talking about. He wants to trade an old squad car for something I have. Both those rim options look good. Any other "cheap" options for bolt on rims?

Be aware than the offsets between 02 and older and 03 and newer are VERY different.  The early crown vics had nearly a 0 offset stock, while 03+ had a +50mm offset.  Otherwise, as he said above, most 5x4.5 (5x114.3) wheels will work.  Pay attention to the center hub diameter though

Be aware than the offsets between 02 and older and 03 and newer are VERY different.  The early crown vics had nearly a 0 offset stock, while 03+ had a +50mm offset.  Otherwise, as he said above, most 5x4.5 (5x114.3) wheels will work.  Pay attention to the center hub diameter though

Yep.

The Challenger wheels photo'd will be a direct fit for '03 and newer.  My '02 and earlier require a 1.25" - 1.5" spacer.

I should also update that I no longer have this CV.  I sold it after I traded a Suzuki Samurai for this:

That's right!  5.9 R/T Dakota awesomeness!  Runs like a scalded dog too.  Been wanting one of these for a LOOOONG time.

Unfortunately, the new CV owner only had it for 3 weeks and got into a multi car pile up.......... It's like I never fixed it.....LOL!

I rebuilt a Ford Fusion for a customer (deer hit) a month later he hit a deer and undid everything I just repaired. So much for job satisfaction. Even though the car was no longer your problem I bet it hurt a little to see that.

• 3 weeks later...

So, you guys are officially a bad influence. Won this 2000 at auction today with 128,000 miles. Found the smoke lights and a grille on Amazon. There is an ad on CL for a set of 2014 dodge challenger r/t wheels with tires, size 235 55 18 . Is this the same size tires you used? Am I reading correct that I'd need the 1 inch spacer then too for this car?

39714285_01X.JPG