2.5 Stumbles under load

So not really sure what I have going on here. 1988 2.5 manual transmission. At first it was idling all over the place found a few small vacuum leaks, repaired those and didnt make a difference, replaced tps and blocked off egr, the erratic idle seems to be gone. So the other problem I have is that anything over half throttle it misses terribly jerks and stumbles all over itself, as the car gets warmer it gets worse and worse until it eventually won't pull itself. If you cut it off and let it sit for a couple mins it will usually get you a couple blocks down the road with no issues. Plugs, wires cap and rotor button are all new. I checked the plugs and they look fine. My guess would be either fuel pressure, maybe a bad ignition module?

I agree, check the CPS when the vehicle is hot, it's easy enough to do.  If that checks out fine, then check the fuel pressure next.  The problem you are having sounds similar to an issue I was having with my 4.0L, and it ended up being fuel system related (Mine was pump related).

Have you taken off the cps to see if there any oil residue?

Because you will be due for a clutch job soon if is...

No not yet, I'm gonna do that and start pulling the transmission tomorrow morning, I already have the seal, I'll inspect the clutch while its out.

I had this similar issue, mine was the map sensor vacuum hose connection. Ase a rule i follow, if you have one vacuum leak... you have another. Replace all your vacuum hoses, they are cheap. And I'd double check your tps resistance values.

Thought of something else, check your egr valve. It might be stuck open, or have constant vacuum to the valve letting constant exhaust gas into the intake. Why maybe it gets worse when hot and idles like crap. I'd disconnect the vacuum hose to valve and plug it to see if that fixes it.

don't forget little things like checking your coil. I seen intermittent coil failure before that did stuff like that. Some times coils just don't die right away.

Like jmderyke stated check to make sure EGR is not stuck open as well.  Was thinking check the distributor as well seen index problems before as a bad one got hotter.

• 1 month later...

Sorry been off for a while, been busy at work, just got the transmission back in, clutch looked new, there was oil on the cps. Got everything back together and it still runs like crap whenever you go over half throttle. Throttle position sensor is brand new and the egr has been blocked off, checked all vacuum lines and they all seem to be in good condition and newer.

OK update, so rear main is in and still the same problem, replaced fuel filter and it was nasty, drove better after that for let it idle for a bit to warm up, drove it to the gas station which is about a mile and a half, got there just fine and pulled strong, on the way back i was a couple blocks from the house and bam she started acting up, i had the throttle to the floor and nothing engine just kind of idles, then here and there it will spit like its trying to pull then i lose everything again until it eventually dies out completely. Any ideas guys I'm stumped.

I have a 1989 with similar problems, though not as bad. Mine idles great but if you goose the throttle manually it initially stumbles like its missing and then will right itself. If itis underload going down the road it won't right itself it just runs like it is missing or starving for fuel and has halfthe power it should. I have cleaned all my grounds, new fuel filter, new fuel pump and cleaned tank(which seems to have made it worse??) Distributer, rotor and plugs look new. Replaced plug wires, vacuum lines look good. My guess is a sensor or injector. I tested resistance in my sensors and all are with in specs except the manifold air temp sensor (which they don't make anymore). Good luck. If you figure it out please post it so i can try it!!!!! LOSING MY MIND!!!!

I have a 1989 with similar problems, though not as bad. Mine idles great but if you goose the throttle manually it initially stumbles like its missing and then will right itself. If itis underload going down the road it won't right itself it just runs like it is missing or starving for fuel and has halfthe power it should. I have cleaned all my grounds, new fuel filter, new fuel pump and cleaned tank(which seems to have made it worse??) Distributer, rotor and plugs look new. Replaced plug wires, vacuum lines look good. My guess is a sensor or injector. I tested resistance in my sensors and all are with in specs except the manifold air temp sensor (which they don't make anymore). Good luck. If you figure it out please post it so i can try it!!!!! LOSING MY MIND!!!!

Yea mine is completely undriveable unless I'm going under a couple miles

Image Not FoundI have a 1989 with similar problems, though not as bad. Mine idles great but if you goose the throttle manually it initially stumbles like its missing and then will right itself. If itis underload going down the road it won't right itself it just runs like it is missing or starving for fuel and has halfthe power it should. I have cleaned all my grounds, new fuel filter, new fuel pump and cleaned tank(which seems to have made it worse??) Distributer, rotor and plugs look new. Replaced plug wires, vacuum lines look good. My guess is a sensor or injector. I tested resistance in my sensors and all are with in specs except the manifold air temp sensor (which they don't make anymore). Good luck. If you figure it out please post it so i can try it!!!!! LOSING MY MIND!!!!

Yours is a different injection system IIRC.

Make sure your intake manifold bolts are snug. Do more than LOOK at the vacuum lines. spray them with throttle body cleaner at idle. 

Remove your IAT and clean it and see how it reads then. 

Image Not Found

Update.. I tightened my manifold bolts, a quarter to a half turn, not very much.  Tried to remove my IAT. Pretty sure it is just going to snap off, so I soaked it in PB Blaster.  During that process I had to unplug the sensor.  Miraculously the jeep runs like never before. The stumble and hestitation is gone, and it has more power than ever!  Not sure what fixed it but I will see how it goes for its next few trips.

Thanks for the tips