Dana 30/35 gear swap help

So I found a dana 35 and 30 on craigslist witg 4.88 gears and air lockers. $300 for both. They are out of a 97 yj so they won't bilt under my mj without some modifications. My question is will the gears,carriers and axles swap into my 88 dana housings?

I'm pretty sure all year Dana 30 and 35 ring and pinion gears work with eachother (for their respective axle), on jeep variants atleast. That's a pretty awesome deal, keep an eye out for chipped teeth, 4.88 is getting into dangerous territory for both of those axles. Not to mention you'll probably break your 35 axle shafts constantly, especially when locking it. Just a heads up. Never understood why people built 35s... 

EDIT: they work if they are the same pinion, high or low. 

A '97 Wrangler would be a TJ, not a YJ. If that's what it is, the entire axle will botl into your MJ, but I believe the front differential is a low-pinion unit, where your MJ is a high-pinion. Not sure, but I don't think the gears interchange.

A '97 Wrangler would be a TJ, not a YJ. If that's what it is, the entire axle will botl into your MJ, but I believe the front differential is a low-pinion unit, where your MJ is a high-pinion. Not sure, but I don't think the gears interchange.

TJ axle will not be a direct bolt in....front spring buckets are in a different position and rear is coil spring not leaf

Ok guys so here's an update.... The rears are out of a 93, sorry for the typo! I've decided I'm just going to strip all the factory perched and shock mounts snd so on off of them and weld new spring perches om the 35 and weld up some new brackets on the 30 to work with my radius arms.

I want to add that the 35 needs gears. Has a couple chipped teeth. The rear has a ratcheting locker and the front has an ARB but he is keeping the compressor.

They were in a jeep he bought and he swapped them out with stock 4.10's. Hed just looking to sell quick to get cash.

I know they are not the best acles to build but for $300 I can't pass. The lockers are wortg that much each!

So if I decide not to use the 35, whats my best option for the rear axle while still retaining my 5x4.5 bolt pattern?

How well do the 30's hold up? I really havnt heard much about them. I just keep hearing that the 35 is junk to build uo???

For the rear either a 44 or there are lots of 8.25's out there.....the 8.25 will have to be reworked with perches....so will the 44 unless you are lucky and get on out of an mj.

To answer the other question you need to clarify what you are building.....a daily driver or a rock and mud buggy..... . :MJ 1: .

Well for now I'm gonna throw the dana 30 in and look around for a 44 for the rear! I'm hopeing to get my axles under it in the next month. I have high hopes of wheeling all summer!!!!!

I just finished building my own radius arms up front and doing the rear SOA swap. So its hard to tear it apart again but I should have gotten lower/locked rears to start with!!!

Here it is the way it sits now. Sitting on 40's

LzEnWae.jpg

w6gJGwy.jpg

If you're running 40's those axles are going to hate life. I wouldn't spend the money on a 44, people think they're gold, I think they're mediocre at best. If you're looking for something to get you by, I'd run an 8.25 or 8.8 just due to them being plentiful. I'd look into full widths or having some cut down to keep the factory stance, especially if you're going to wheel hard. Just my opinion

So here are some pictures. Can anyone identify the locker and gear brand. Obviously the carrier and gears are junk but I'm sure the same brand gears are up front. Basically I want to know if thy are good gears or knock offs.

oKQwRP7.jpg

Just a thought for your rear 90's ford 8.8 explorer find a d2 door code means 410's and limited slip whit I replaced my 35 with its only about an inch narrower than your 35

Good deal. That sounds like a good idea. That way I'd be able to use that carrier and install 4.88's. What is the lug nut pattern on those axles?

Just a thought for your rear 90's ford 8.8 explorer find a d2 door code means 410's and limited slip whit I replaced my 35 with its only about an inch narrower than your 35

Good deal. That sounds like a good idea. That way I'd be able to use that carrier and install 4.88's. What is the lug nut pattern on those axles?

For future reference, Ford corporate axles don't have carrier breaks