wiring up fog lights

Hey Gang

Ok, so new injectors in, new shocks & steering damper in - running sweet!

time to address the fog lights, which i assume were orginally setup to go on with the head lights as i can't find any switch for them (87 2 wd) - on peeking at the lights them self it looks like some sort of PO monkeyness so thinking i'll rewire them w/ a switch set up on the dash. Any suggestions for good point to run a hot wire off from - some where off the fuse box  or other suggestions ?

thx as always

really loving these trucks!

mike

I agree 100% with adding a relay. As for finding a 12v source, if you intend on adding any other accessories i would recommend buying an auxiliary fuse box of some sort. I have a BlueSeas unit.

st_blade.jpg

cool idea thx!

I agree 100% with adding a relay. As for finding a 12v source, if you intend on adding any other accessories i would recommend buying an auxiliary fuse box of some sort. I have a BlueSeas unit.

st_blade.jpg

That's very neat. A long time ago I bought a fused marine switch panel that never got used on a boat -- but I haven't added enough accessory circuits to have a need for it. Like this, except mine has six switches and fuses:

51LKNqlB96L._SX355_.jpg

Newer version has circuit breakers:

51u%2BZNKMRqL._SY355_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Toggle-Switch-Panels-8-Inch/dp/B0000AZ7X7/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1425561040&sr=8-13&keywords=marine+switch+panel

When I went to do the Wiring for mine, I found a wire, from the Wiring Harness, which was for the Fog Lights.

Ran from there. I got a Factory Switch, to use in the Dash. 

Ran New Wiring & Relays (I have 2 sets of Fog, 1 set Driving Lights)

Used the Factory Switches & Locations on the Dash, All worked Fine.

That wire, the dash relay coil trigger wire for fog and/or driving lamps, is present on all MJs even if they were not optioned out for them. Makes good sense to use it instead of adding more wiring from the dash through the firewall when adding accessory lamps since it's already there.   

• 1 month later...

When I went to do the Wiring for mine, I found a wire, from the Wiring Harness, which was for the Fog Lights.

Ran from there. I got a Factory Switch, to use in the Dash. 

Ran New Wiring & Relays (I have 2 sets of Fog, 1 set Driving Lights)

Used the Factory Switches & Locations on the Dash, All worked Fine.

Can you or Hornbrod  tell me how to identify that wire? Do you remember which wires are which on the factory switches to save me some time testing them?

I want to use the stock ones as well. I have several different options. If someone knows how ( and if ) I could use this switch for the defroster to trigger an on-demand electric fan I was thinking of using it:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I will use the for light for my fog lights.

• 1 month later...

I Modified this panel for the 2 Light Switches.

Yes, I used 1 for 2 sets of Fog Lights.

The wire I used, from behind the Grille, was a wire with a 1/4" Female Spade Connection.

Used a Test Light to Verify when it had power & where it was under the dash.