Hey Guys need some d44 advice

Just in case you didn't know the factory choices are the two on the top row and furthest to the right: Dana 35 & Dana 44. But nothing is assured on a 25 year old jeep.

( In just noticed that at some point or another in have had 8 of the 16 options on that chart in a jeep.)

Actually all of the ones in the top row were available for the MJ at one time from the factory.

The AMC 20 was the heavy-duty rear axle option for the '86 model year, and it somewhat rare as originally set up for the MJ.

The Dana 30 was the only front axle available under an MJ.

The Dana 35 was the standard rear axle for all MJ's.

The Dana 44 was the heavy-duty rear axle option for '87 and up. It's also fairly rare, but not quite to the same extent as the AMC 20.

The heavy-duty rear axle was part of both the Metric Ton (Big Ton), and offroad packages, but could also be optioned separately.

Looks like my '86 had a D44 originally, doesn't look like it was messed with in 28 years! I was surprised, it's a Custom that had the 2.8 in it, thought it should have had an AMC 20 as well.

Jerry

Looks like my '86 had a D44 originally, doesn't look like it was messed with in 28 years! I was surprised, it's a Custom that had the 2.8 in it, thought it should have had an AMC 20 as well.

Jerry

86 models never came from the factory with a D44. All HD axles were AMC-20's with either a 3.31, 3.54/3.55, or 4.11 ratio.

Jerry

86 models never came from the fatory with a D44. All HD axles were AMC-20's with either a 3.31, 3.54/3.55, or 4.11 ratio.

And the AMC looks nothing like either Dana.

Definitely an 86 MJ VIN then, and in looking how the brake lines are configured and bent, your D44 sure looks original and factory as can be. Especially with the MT badging you said was present. Another case maybe of never say never when it comes to MJs. I'm convinced it's original based on your pics. Maybe a late build date for your rig?

BTW, the arm of your brake load sensing valve is wrong - should be configured like this, roughly parallel to the axle:

I haven't done anything with the load sensing arm, it's how I bought it. It doesn't have MT badging, nor does it have MT springs, I'm told. I believe it is a late production '86, would make sense. I'm not keeping this one, as I got an 88 Eliminator, and it's more of what I want and I don't have to do a motor/tranny transplant. Definitely, the D44 is going under the Eliminator, and the D35 under the '86 before it leaves me.

Jerry