How bad is a good maintained AX5 really?

I've been doing a little research on my 2-4wd conversion, since my decision to keep my 4 banger (swapping in my HO is just to much work LOL). I know the AX15 is the best swap, but if I don't find everything I need when it's time for my to button everything up then I may end up putting an AX5 in... at least they are cheap.

My truck will not be a crazy trail crawler or rock bouncer, just a good farm truck on either 31's or 33's. Why not use an AX5?

I changed the fluid to 10-30 synthetic on my AX4 when I got it. I've been DD my MJ for almost a year now, have towed and hauled over 4,000lbs with it various times and have not had one issue. I have an AX5 waiting in the wings for when I throw in my 4wd system.

Only big issue I know of with an AX5, is the snap ring for 5th gear breaking or walking off the shaft, which makes the gear come in contact less and less with the mating gear to the point that they are not touching, leaving you without 5th gear. They make a collar that fits over that snap ring against the gear to keep that from happening again.

Jerry