MJOTM - February, 2015 - xjrev10's '88 Pioneer

neohic

So everybody knows how MJOTM works, right? Every month another member is selected... I have some fun writing some stuff about them... the rest of the group agrees... positive comments and praise ensues. To be honest, I truly love being able to do this! I get to be the first to know who gets the spotlight, I get to be the first to say congratulations, and before all that I get to be the one to start the secret of who's next. This month is special though. This month was a first for me that I was able to tell the member right to his face! I was somewhat hoping for a big shock but in return was a very casual "hu... well I guess I better get the truck done then". To be fair, this is typically the part where I build up suspense before saying who gets the title of MJOTM for the month. I kind of already did that but there's usually a story or something special that I've noticed about the member. Instead he gets the same casual build up that I got in response. This month's MJOTM is my good buddy...

stencil-cargo-army.regular.png

YEAR/MODEL
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE
Stock 4.0 with 220k
Airaid filter

DRIVETRAIN
NV3550/231 with Hack N Tap SYE and custom made HD rear driveshaft
Novak Cable shifter for transfer case
Sleeved HP30 with 4.56 gears and ARB air locker
Rear Chrysler 8.25 with Disc brakes, 4.56 gears and ARB locker 

COOLING
Open cooling

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION
Stock 

SUSPENSION/STEERING
3.5 Iron Rock Offroad coils
IRO double shear track bar
WJ adjustable control arms (4)
Crown HD steering 
3.5 Hell Creek Suspension leafs

INTERIOR
Replaced creme colored interior with a complete black interior and also put in a brand new headliner.

BRAKES
WJ master booster
ZJ rear discs
Drilled and slotted rotors on the front 

LIGHTING
Rampage Headlights

EXTERIOR
ARB Bull Bar with Warn M8000
97+ mirrors
Cut fenders
Custom HD rear bumper
Rock rails (soon)

WHEELS/TIRES
Wheels and tires are factory OE JK Rubicon wheels with a BFG Mud Terrain
Spidertrax wheel spacers

MISCELLANEOUS ●

Tool box

CB radio

FULL BUILD THREAD HERE

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story
Well... Pertaining to this truck..

I found the truck on Craigslist when I was living out in Casper, Wyoming working in '08. It was located in Cheyenne, WY. I drove down there in a snow storm to go take a look. I pulled into the address and the owner was no where to be found. This extremely cranky guy come out of no where and started chewing my @$$ for trespassing and they where not 'open' on the weekend. Apparently it was a junkyard but there was no signs or anything.. Strange. Anyway I told him why I was there and he pointed me to where the truck was. I literally had to dig a snow tunnel to get to it because the snow drift was over the truck.... Didn't know what to make of it but decided if I could get the right deal I'd buy it.

Drove back home to Casper and called the owner. Agreed on a price and set a time to meet back up the next weekend. I can't remember the exact purchase price but it was $700 or $800. Something came up during the week and I wasn't able to pay the full amount. The owner let me take the truck with a promise of a check in the mail. Normally I guess you tape your title in the back window till you get plates.. In this case it was taping the bill of sale/check agreement in the back window. Talk about goofy!

Drove the truck home the 200 or so miles and used something like 3 quarts of oil. It was blowing out of the RMS something fierce. I drove it to work a few times in nice weather due the wipers not working but other then that, it just sat.

Well after a month or two I moved back to MN and I was forced to leave the truck due to no way of getting it home. Thankfully I had a buddy that worked for a trucking outfit and his boss owed me a favor. He picked the truck up in Casper and hauled it to a different location in Wyoming at some guys farm. It sat there for 3 months till he was back out there again. One afternoon I got the call that my Jeep was home.

Fixed the rear main and drove it all over. Used as a DD for awhile till I started working on it. (See Wyomanche build thread.)

That brings us to today. There have been many ideas that went through my head about which way I should or shouldn't go with this build. I'm happy with the direction I choose which is what I would call a resto mod. Mostly all factory jeep parts where used. Parts from XJs, ZJs, TJs, JKs, WJs...... Of course other. MJs..

As it stands now, this is how the truck will stay. See how it does traveling and wheeling out west.. Maybe a LS swap in the future.

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So?
Been said time and time again.. Folks on this site are genuine, dedicated, thoughtful, helpful and best of all for the most part respectful to everyone. (On or off the forum). This is THE resource for anything Comanche. Period. Nothing else even comes close. When I started this project, I didn't know much at all about nothing... I remember researching CC way back then (08) to take on that RMS project laying in the dirt! I have also met a few Individuals in person and found them to have the same welcoming persona then that is portrayed on the forum.

Even tho CC membership stretches around the world, it still has the tight knit group feeling about it. Thanks CC for being there!

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

So getting back to the casualness of the response, I think it went down exactly how it should've. Austin, I think you are definitely one of those guys who knows that they've got an awesome truck, has the kindness to help those in need, and the support to keep others interested in this hobby. Anybody here ever make a trade or do business with him?... I bet he went way out of his way to make sure that you got what you wanted for less than you were expecting to pay, right? Locally, I'd call him an important member on MN forums... and not only for being a half way home for Jeeps! Austin, a huge congratulations for being our MJOTM for February. You are very deserving and I very much wish we had more like you!

-Ben

This post has been promoted to an article

Thanks Ben. I try my hardest to be the best I can be in the jeep world. It's my life! Here's a few more pics from the shake down run this weekend. This jeep's first day out of the garage was last Tuesday.... Been a few years!

Nice looking truck!

Does the WJ booster make a big difference?  I have the 96 XJ one currently and would like a little better braking performance.  Is it worth swapping to the WJ one?   Was it a direct swap, or was anything special needed?

• 3 months later...