Hi from NH and a bunch of questions

Hi just wanted to introduce myself and couldn't find a new member area. I hope this is the right place.

I don't yet have a Comanche but am actively hunting. I had a 92 Eliminator I bought off the lot in Feb of 92 and let go for a full sized Ford in 97. I have owned a bunch of 4x4's and that is the only one I miss. I currently have a 12 JKU with a 2inch lift for my DD.

There are a few MJ's for sale fairly local but the ones in good shape seem to be RWD's. Is swapping out a new drivetrain from a newer XJ a lot of fabricating or are the brackets and parts mostly bolt on?

What should I expect to pay for a 4x4, 4.0L, with under 200k and a good frame? I can do the floors and rockers.

Thanks,

Paul

Welcome to the club Paul. You are in the right place!

The 4wd swap is very common around here. It is essentially a bolt in affair. You will need transmission, transfer case, front axle drive shaft, the shifter linkage and a new rear driveshaft or yours shortened.

Hate to rub salt in a wound, but I know we would love to see pictures of your old 92!

Howdy Naybah ... 

Keep an eye on the classified ads subforums.  There are two sale listings.  One for your stuff and one for posts found on Craigslist/eBay ..etc (not your stuff).

I often crosspost ads for MJ's for sale that I find while surfing.  As to what you might expect to pay?  Opinions and tastes vary widely on here.  There are also a multitude of "What's it worth?" posts in the Pub.   It's up to you as to the value of the truck in which you would be interested. 

As for "knowledge and know how"  to bring it to your standards, you can't find a better resource than the members, moderators and administrators of this site. Great bunch of people.

Hey NHMJXJ you in the south or north of our great state? I'm down the bottom in Merrimack. Thanks, I've been lurking for a while on and off and just started a serious search. My neighbors son has gone through a couple MJ's and he taunts me driving by waving every day.

I am talking to a craigslister in CT and may get down to check out his rig next Sunday.

Prices vary significantly by location. I found mine on here and towed it home from NC and got a hell of a deal on it compared to around here. All I ever see on Craigslist around here is rotted out 4 banger RWDs and people want $2500+ for them. I'm a LOT less picky about MJ prices than I am XJ prices because there's so few left.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Brookline NH here, good to hear from some local MJ fans ('89 4x4 SporTruck shortbed, 4.0, 5 spd.). Might see my truck at the Anhueser Busch show this summer in Merrimac - if the bleeping snow's gone by then!