giant pumpkin

dustyinthedirt

I try to grow one every year.....I always get  prestarted seedlings of the "goliath" strain....

2 funny stories

In order to get the biggest you are supposed to pay attention and let the vines spread out and bloom then once they start to bloom pinch off the smaller ones so that all the effort goes to the one you leave...allowing it to grow to MAX......second year I did it (because it sends out long trailing vines,and I was not paying attention) the vine climbed the fence and the best bloom happened to be on the vine that crossed over he top of the fence......long story short I ended up building a platform to support it and grew a 89 lb pumpkin....6 feet in the air.

A few years later I was working out of town so my better half was in charge.....when ever I came back I would encourage her to water them more as they did not seem to be growing.....after 4 months when I returned and checked them out i was confused.....I had about 30 perfectly formed perfectly colored "pumpkins"......all the size of a large apple....I immediately started searching in the dirt for the small plastic spear with the name and best growing conditions that comes in the box with the seedlings....i found it right at the base of the main plant were i had stuck it in when I planted it....i pulled it out and it immediately came apart in my hand.....reveling that the "Goliath" tag was stuck to ta tag for 4"  "Gourds"  :doh: ........she reminds me of that from time to time

Listing to the radio yesterday, A annual competition largest Pumpkin grown was 700+ kg. He's hoping it lasts to take to the Royal Easter Show.. IIRC I think they said it took 85 days to grow. Have also herd watering them with sugar gives them a kick along ????   

One of the cops at work said he was going to give it a shot. I have no expertise on this, so I'll just regurgitate what he told me...

Best way to start a giant pumpkin is with a giant pumpkin. He picked a couple up after they were at a show, and just tossed them into his yard where he wanted to start growing. The rotting pumpkin starts the seeds and fertilizes it at the same time.

Rob

i've heard of growing them in milk. you take the vine and dip it in a cup of milk and it will suck it up? i think thats how it works. 

i once grew a whole patch of tomatoes after throwing some rotten ones in the corner of the yard and they came up. didnt have to do nothing to them except eat them 

If you want to get crazy come up to Canada....On the east coast there is a little provence called Nova Scotia....They have a contest every year....

http://www.worldsbiggestpumpkins.com/

But the best part is after you get a bunch of Giant Pumpkins together .....you hollow them out like boats.....then you race them....

hugli-s-giant-pumpkin-boat-races-jpg-134

pumpkin-regatta%20(4)%5B2%5D.jpg?imgmax=

An Idea that probably results from long winter nights and strong beer   :banana: