Anyone have rear shock part numbers?

I switched my rear axle to spring over! With that said, I'm trying to find some shocks now. I have measured the compressed actual size at 15 and the extended actual at 18. So to be on the safe side, I'm looking for a shock that ranges from 13" to 18" , can anyone help me find a part number for a cheap shock to replace with? Thanks in advance!

That doesn't sound right with a SOA unless you have modified the shock mounts. For a stock SUA MJ with zero lift the rear shock lengths compressed and extended are 14.375" - 23.000". What is the distance between the shock mounting pins when it sitting on the ground for your rig?

I have Gabriels ordered right now, went to pick them up but they are not there yet.

I'm sitting at 19" pin to pin.

I have spent 6-7 hours combing through all the available shocks at Hornbrods numbers. There is one- G63443 and it crosses to no other shock.

Yes you will find acceptable numbers but the mounts will need to be modified or the mounts are wrong.

GAG63443 Specifications
  • Collapsed Length (IN):13.95
  • Extended Length (IN):23.33
  • Lower Mount Type:EB1
  • Upper Mount Type:EB1
  • Availability:Ships in 3 to 4 days
  • Performance:Best
  • Manufacturers Part Number:G63443

This shock has the greatest stroke of any that I can find in off the shelf, like kind, shock.

Find Monroe's web site. Don't bother with their shock finder "app," because you're not looking for OEM replacements. Measure your truck sitting unloaded, on level ground. The pin-to-pin distance is what you should be aiming for as the mid-travel length for your new shocks.

On the Monroe site there is a chart (from the back of their paper catalog) that lists all their shocks with the end mounting types and the collapsed and extended lengths. For an MJ, you need an eye mount top and bottom (but you can use a shock with a cross pin on one end and remove the cross pin). Write down the numbers of the shocks whose collapsed and extended lengths straddle your measured pin-to-pin height. You should find at least two or three in each series of shock that will work, but look for the one(s) with the most travel and with a mid-travel length as close as possible to your ride height.

If you can be happy with Monroes, you're done. Take the part number to Advanced Auto and put your money on the counter.

If you don't want Monroes, you can go a couple of more steps. Also on the Monroe web site is a cross-application chart. You can use that chart to do a reverse lookup for each of the suitable shocks you found, and the chart will tell you what vehicle(s) they fit. Once you know that, you can look up shocks for that vehicle from any brand you want.

So monroe part number 31904. It rnges from 13.3 inches to 20.1 inches. Shoukd work for me. Its an ordered part so I'll have to call advance and get it started.

This does not sound right. What is the measurement from the lower shock stud to the upper shock stud, with the truck parked on level ground?

Static height measurement is 17" from center of stud to stud.

Okay, then the shock you cited will work. In fact, it's the OEM replacement for the Comanche. But your lengths are wrong. It's 13.375" collapsed and 23.125" extended. The mid-travel length is 18.250".

Okay, and yeah i knew I did'nt have the lengths down to the last numbers. Just trying to be simple. And I was able to keep my factory mounting points. By using the plate with the mount for the shock in the same place as before the swap.

Well, to be fair the extended length you cited was off by three inches. That's enough that it could have made the difference between fitting and not fitting. When I took the 4" lift off my '88 MJ, the lift shocks were much too long. I had a pair of shocks that I wanted to use, and fully extended they were half an inch too short to even put on the vehicle. An extra three inches would have meant I could have used them.

Okay, and yeah i knew I did'nt have the lengths down to the last numbers. Just trying to be simple. And I was able to keep my factory mounting points. By using the plate with the mount for the shock in the same place as before the swap.

Well, to be fair the extended length you cited was off by three inches. That's enough that it could have made the difference between fitting and not fitting. When I took the 4" lift off my '88 MJ, the lift shocks were much too long. I had a pair of shocks that I wanted to use, and fully extended they were half an inch too short to even put on the vehicle. An extra three inches would have meant I could have used them.

Yeah you were totally right. I didnt even realize I wrote 21.3 I meant 23.1 ! Must be my dyslexia sinking in haha