Backfire?

Following this. I had a similar issue. Just bought the truck. Drove it cross country 1800 miles with no issues. Similar idle thing. Started truck yesterday, idled for about 30 seconds, died. Started back up fine. Driving later on the freeway 60-65 mph. Truck down shifted pulling a long hill and bogged down like loss of power, back fired, and I eased off the gas. Didn't repeat again. I have a 91 4.0 auto trans

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up fellas

So I haven't changed out the icm but back tracking with a friend from Cherokee forum (freegdr) and he sent me a thread about a guy having similar issues and found out that it was his o2 sensor that when it would switch from open to closed loop it would do a split second shut off then run perfect....

But I came to realize that this whole shutting off issue started after I swapped the tps even after adjusting it perfect to cruisers tips...(might be a bad tps)

I had a brand new spare (off brand) and adjusted it as per cruisers tips

Changed out a leaking fuel sending unit seal,

Changed out the rubber gas lines

Did a test run this morning and it ran flawless....

Can't say I'm excited yet but will be doing a testing this week and see how it plays out...

• 7 months later...

So, it is hesitating and backfiring along with the tach jumping? 

Could your exhaust have a restriction?

We had an 86 at the dealership which had the material in the cat come apart, melt in a ball, and roll to the outlet of the converter at it's will.

Tips 1-9, 23, 27

Grounds refresh added 5 new grounds, including rear tail light ground...

Parts replaced- icm, coil, map sensor, 3-cps part# pc87t and did the mod to adjust it lower...

New pump, filter, oxygen sensor , idle speed controller,

Intake manifold bolts are tight and added new gasket...

Cat is hollowed out...

Don't have a timing light and don't know of anyone who has one....

Yes I guess I'll go over them again...

It's weird I just drove 20miles since the video I sent and it's running good now...

Got a flashlight that strobes?

You went over ECU connectors already? 

Don't have a timing light and don't know of anyone who has one....

Yes I guess I'll go over them again...

It's weird I just drove 20miles since the video I sent and it's running good now...

Got a flashlight that strobes?

You went over ECU connectors already?

Yes for the Ecu connectors and no for the strobe

So I was cleaning my ground double checking wires today and tightening the clips/fusible links on the starter relay and questioned myself of where the wiring would go....

I realized looking through Google where the clips suppose to go on the starter relay and noticed that I had the ignition terminal where the ground was and vice versa...

I switched them and tighten and wire brush everything...

So let's see how the next couple of days go...

So I was cleaning my ground double checking wires today and tightening the clips/fusible links on the starter relay and questioned myself of where the wiring would go....

I realized looking through Google where the clips suppose to go on the starter relay and noticed that I had the ignition terminal where the ground was and vice versa...

I switched them and tighten and wire brush everything...

So let's see how the next couple of days go...

You gotta be kidding.....

Got a chance to run out to my truck and it fired right up...

Just ordered a new icm and coil...

I'll check cps voltage when it's warmed up to see if it's that the problem of the current Problem of shutting off and not starting until cooled down...

So...I've only changed the starter relay since the discovery of the mixed wires and shutting off...

I've been driving this truck like the old scca Comanches in the slow lanes and it's been taking every pedal to the medal with ease till today...tried to shut off, rpm gauge went bonkers,

limped it home and Changed out the icm and coil let's see how it goes.

I may have come to the conclusion that the problem may be fixed...

I've been driving it/dogging it to see if it mishaps and no hesitation at all...

Every little thing that would make it stutter/shut off/ wild rpm gauge has stopped...

I'll keep daily driving it another week and see how it goes...