Another $500 MJ, Atlanta

I am not sure how Vehicle registration is in the US but I see more and More in these ads saying Lost the title so bill of sale only and I think How hard is it to replace the title in the US???

We Call it an Ownership and Should we lose it we make a Trip the MOT (Ministry of Transportation) and we say " I lost my Ownership" and they print me a New one as simple as that...

What's the difficulty level in getting a title? I ask because I will be (time permitting) heading down south to buy a Good Used but not Rotten MJ in the near to distant future and this tidbit of info could be very useful...

There are a few different ways to obtain a title for a vehicle in the states. 

-If the registered owner loses the title they can apply to the DMV for a duplicate title which, while time consuming, isn't a big deal. 

-The "lost title" ads usually means someone other than the last registered owner has the truck.  It becomes more difficult to obtain a title b/c you have to backtrack to the last person who had a title and get them to provide a duplicate.  If they're willing to do this for you (odds of success are generally low) you can take the signed title directly to the DMV and register the truck (called jumping the title).  This tends to vary by state.  GA, for example, didn't issue titles until the early 80s so an older car can be registered with a bill of sale only. Other states may give you a bonded title or issue a state VIN and give you a title against that.

-If a mechanic or shop has the vehicle without a title they can apply for a mechanic's lien (i.e. the guy stiffed me and didn't pay the bill).  This is fairly straightforward.  Towing companies can do the same thing with abandoned vehicles they pick up.

Really the question is this: what would you need to get a non-running project vehicle across the border and/or registered with the MOT?  I'm curious for a few reasons, mostly b/c Becky Sue (my totaled '65 Olds) was sold via the auto auction to someone in Granby, QC.  If the MOT isn't picky and the VIN search  shows the vehicle isn't stolen I'd think a bill of sale would suffice.

Also the intelligence of the person at the state DMV plays a bit role in success/failure.  I sold Maura to Biotex and NC sent me a tax bill for her the following year.  I had turned in the plate and was surprised they still tried to bill me.  The DMV told me I was still the registered owner b/c she hadn't shown up registered elsewhere in the state.  I pointed out that the world didn't end at the state line.  I ended up having to send them a copy of the bill of sale so as to prove I didn't still own her...idiots.

Ya I have heard Horror Stories about the DMV.. The MOT is way easier, I f I say lost an ownership for a Say a parts truck I bought or the guy I got it from didn't give it to me I can just file out a form and pay $10.00 and get the "previous owner" to fill it out then I get a new ownership but if its mine I get it printed on the spot with ZERO wait time or BS...

To bring a Car over and put it on the road I would need the title and a bill of sale, then take that to the MOT and they would then enter the info into the system also I have to get the vehicle inspected to make sure it meets the safety standards for the vehicle if it were always here and then that's it...

If the vehicle is already here in Canada and No US title is with it then a Notarised letter saying that its yours and they will add it to the system and an ownership produced by the MOT should it not be any flags when the VIN is run...

If I Buy a Truck down south I will not really care to put it on the road here as I would want the shell and just transplant my Truck into that truck making sure to keep records of the vehicles used to "repair" my truck...

At least now I know If it does not come with the title or the title is not in the sellers name then say clear of it... Unless there is a Salvage type of exemption but I will look into that when the time comes...

Thanks for the info

Getting something with a title is probably the best move.  If you ultimately decide to put it on the road you at least have the option.  I've seen a lot of nice cars cut up/parted out because they had no paperwork. 

"R"  titled vehicles (reconstructed or salvage) would probably work for you.  They're usually cheaper than something with a clean title but still have a paper trail.

What does MOT inspection consist of?  Is there an initial inspection and then an annual/biannual inspection?  The UK MOT inspection is a real PITA from what I understand.

Also what region are you planning to look in? 

The Entry Inspection is a 1 time thing (at least here in Ontario) and as said it is just to make sure it meets safety Standard for the model essentially for example if the US didn't have a Catyletic converter and that Model in Canada Requires one then you need to add one etc...

As for where I will buy one not sure yet and no preference just somewhere warm were the Salt has not eaten away at it...

I am Familiar with buying things as I have been buying and selling cars for over 20 years just not in the US so thanks for the title info....