issues with my power window/locks swap

Ok need some help. i swapped the full 4 door window and door lock harness from the xj to the mj. Swapped the power lock actuator and the power window motor into the mj drivers door. Swapped the drivers door switch from the xj into the mj, plugged it in, plugged in the power lead to the fuse panel, gave the buttons a try. Nuthin! So of course I think well both sides must need to be attached. Yeah thats a feasible explanation(thats the way it always works in my head)! so stripped down the passenger side door in the xj and stripped the mj p. door. then instead of installing the motors and guts actually into the door, I just plugged everything in. Oh Yeah this is gonna be cool! Thats what i was hoping. But if I actually thought it was going to work- then why didnt I put it all into the mj door and then plug it in? Because it didn't... So diagnostics:

I have power to the rt. side switch and power to the left side switch(pictured above). I also have power as indicated in pic below, to the window motor connector in both up position and down position. 

So can some one give me a clue as to why neither the window motors or the locks are responding when they are receiving power. the drivers side is completely installed but the pass side is laying on the floor board and connected. Is this a ground problem? if i install the pass side components will that connect the ground? I know the gound switches paths as buttons are pushed but where does it actually make the circuit to ground? I know others have done this swap and it was basically plug and play after the harness was swapped in. I have little hair left to pull out...

Hey cruiser54, it does alternate ground doesn't it? i think that is what i'm trying to figure out, where or when does the ground get "grounded"? the only electrical connection is the power supply wire to the fuse panel. which was the only connection that i know of when i removed the harness from the xj. No ground wire connection?

I used the stock 2DR XJ power window switches and made my own cables, but did not do the power door locks. So this wiring diagram may or may not help. You do need to ground four wires from the driver's side window switches so the regulator motors reverse polarity for up/down operation when the switch is made. I grounded them behind the drivers kick panel. The colored dots on the switches represent the wire colors. These should be the same colors as your switches.

I used the stock 2DR XJ power window switches and made my own cables, but did not do the power door locks. So this wiring diagram may or may not help. You do need to ground four wires from the driver's side window switches so the regulator motors reverse polarity for up/down operation when the switch is made. I grounded them behind the drivers kick panel. The colored dots on the switches represent the wire colors. These should be the same colors as your switches.

Hot Dawg That's Pretty!  Thanks Don. I have to believe this is gonna help! Wonder where the harness found ground in the 4 door XJ?

I didn't have much luck reusing existing stuff when I swapped mine.  I ended up making my own circuit that reverses the polarity with a couple relays.

I though of doing that too. I mocked up everything on the workbench before wiring it in, and the regulator motors only pulled 2A-3A each, so I didn't use relays, just fused the power in with a 20A fuse. The factory setup doesn't use relays either. Of course, the factory didn't use relays for the headlamps either.  :nuts: 

Anyhow, I figured it's easy enough to add relays for the motors later if needed. So far I haven't had to.

41270d1191708508-vn-calais-sedan-power-w

When I pulled the harness from the xj it already had to relays wired in and attached behind the kick panel on right side of the passenger side. I'm jumping to take your last pic, Don, and deduce the location of my harness ground wire and see if I can get the harness grounded to the body that way, I think that's all I need . Complete the circuit with a ground.

When I pulled the harness from the xj it already had to relays wired in and attached behind the kick panel on right side of the passenger side. I'm jumping to take your last pic, Don, and deduce the location of my harness ground wire and see if I can get the harness grounded to the body that way, I think that's all I need . Complete the circuit with a ground.

The relays are for the power locks.

The relays are for the power locks.

I KNEW THAT! not. Ok but there is a common ground somewhere in this harness and if i find it isolate it and connect it to body like I'm sure was the case in the xj then my circuit will be complete and viola! World Peace! Just downloaded the FSM off ebay $14.95 and glanced at the wiring diagram, this is gonna happen!

• 1 month later...

Okay thanks for everyone's input! Spliced in a ground wire from the under dash body ground to the black wire in the XJ harness. BAM! Power windows! Motor speed is good with key in accessory and great with running engine!

Now- why the power door locks didn't magically begin to operate... Oh yeah because that would've been too easy. Still workin on that one.

I didn't have much luck reusing existing stuff when I swapped mine.  I ended up making my own circuit that reverses the polarity with a couple relays.

I though of doing that too. I mocked up everything on the workbench before wiring it in, and the regulator motors only pulled 2A-3A each, so I didn't use relays, just fused the power in with a 20A fuse. The factory setup doesn't use relays either. Of course, the factory didn't use relays for the headlamps either.  :nuts:

Anyhow, I figured it's easy enough to add relays for the motors later if needed. So far I haven't had to.

41270d1191708508-vn-calais-sedan-power-w

:yeah that:

I had mine on a set of polarity reversing switches for a while and swapped over to ground switched relays to add a remote trigger to the locks.