wheel spacers need help

alright yall, i need some answears on wheel spacers, my buddy wants to get my 2inch spacers for christmas or my birthday but he doesn't know if i can daily driver with them, if i can mud with them and what bolt pattern i need, i also have heard that they can fly off; so the questions for yall are:

1. can i daily driver and mud with them on?

2. what bolt pattern do i need?

3. my lug nuts are 1/2X13 do the spacer studs need to be the same?

4. how can i provent the spacers from flyin off?

Redwolf

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its stock its 1/2 x 20 and bolt pattern 5x4.5 i wouldn't go 2in most use 1.25in here's a know good set we use them on cherokeetalk.com alot http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-1-25-5X4-5-5X114-3MM-WHEEL-SPACERS-ADAPTERS-5LUG-/121518303625?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4b0e2989

use a torque wrench and locktite on your stock studs with there nuts and check them every once and a while.

1. I daily drive with spacers on rear.  No problem.

2. Same bolt pattern 5x4.5...why would it be different...do you have a different D35?

3. Lug nuts for a Jeep MJ are 1/2"X20...unless you have a different D35?

4. They only fly off if they're not bolted on...wheels and/or spacers, in my world tend to not "fly off".  Actually I have yet to have anything on my rig fly off

What kind of spacers are you talking about?  You bolt them to the drum, with a lug wrench...tight.  Then you bolt the wheels to the spacer, tight!  I suppose you could glue them on or use duct tape...I use bolts & nuts.

With a longer spacer, you're putting way more force on the wheel bearings than they were intended to handle which will make them wear out much faster. That and you'll stick the tires way out, which may be a good or bad thing depending on if you like how it looks.

They do not eat up wheel bearings anymore than changing backspacing with aftermarket wheels. The factory wheels are at 5-5.5" and most aftermarket are 3.5-4". The forces are the same whther it is changed with spacers or rim backspacing. Many many XJ,MJ,YJ,TJ,KJ, ZJ owners have used both spacers and aftermarket wheels with no problems despite having the same hub design. I put 90k miles on a lifted KJ with spacers & 31's that I wheeled as hard as my MJ with zero issues. Hubcentric is safer but keep in mind than many of those black steel wheels you see are univeral and lug centric not hub centric and are used without ill effect.

The spacers are very common. If they list them for a TJ they are correct for your MJ. I got my TenAlloy at Morris 4x4 and they were about $30 cheaper then spidertrax at the time. I used 2" at the rear and 1.25" to even up the track width.

alright, i know hub centric is safer and the longer the length on the hub the fast it wears but now i'm confused with backspacing, i have 4 stock turbine rims and that's what i'm stickin with but just want my tires to stick out more (it also might sling more mud on the MJ  :D ) i've always wanted 2" but after bein told it'll wear the hub bearing faster the 1.25 doesn't seem so bad, but still seems a little small...... :needpics:

Redwolf

glad to know i need hub-centric spacers and what makes 1.25 different from 2" as far as eattin hub bearings,

Redwolf

Leverage. Go to your refrigerator and grab a gallon of milk. First, hold it tight against your body and see how long you can hold it. Then, hold it out away from you with one hand and see how long you can do that. Same concept with wheels and your bearings.

glad to know i need hub-centric spacers and what makes 1.25 different from 2" as far as eattin hub bearings,

Redwolf

Leverage. Go to your refrigerator and grab a gallon of milk. First, hold it tight against your body and see how long you can hold it. Then, hold it out away from you with one hand and see how long you can do that. Same concept with wheels and your bearings.

i got that, just seems like 1.25 would still keep the tire in the fender,

Redwolf

Which is where they belong. Why is that a bad thing?

What are the laws in your state? When I bought my '88 MJ the previous owner had removed the flares and crudely hacked out the mounting flanges. Within two weeks after putting it on the road with 31" tires, I got a ticket for having the tires extending beyond the body. Worse -- I was getting ready to leave for a trip, and I had ten days to fix it and get it reinspected.

Which is where they belong. Why is that a bad thing?

What are the laws in your state? When I bought my '88 MJ the previous owner had removed the flares and crudely hacked out the mounting flanges. Within two weeks after putting it on the road with 31" tires, I got a ticket for having the tires extending beyond the body. Worse -- I was getting ready to leave for a trip, and I had ten days to fix it and get it reinspected.

i believe the law is i can have them stick out 2inches past the fender flares but a lot of cops don't really inforce the law cause they don't really care aslong as you're in your lane

without wheel spacers

with 1.25 wheel spacers

31x10.5x15 tires, no lift, and they are inside the wheel well.

:eek: that's my next size too lol i come an inch away from rubbing with 30s,

Redwolf

Are you wanting to put spacers front and rear? If so you don't need much on the front to get them to stick out. Most people use the 1.25" on the rear so it will mach the front. I also don't believe the spacers will hurt anything even at 2" its exactly the same as changing the back spacing on the rim.

Are you wanting to put spacers front and rear? If so you don't need much on the front to get them to stick out. Most people use the 1.25" on the rear so it will mach the front. I also don't believe the spacers will hurt anything even at 2" its exactly the same as changing the back spacing on the rim.

i am lookin at doin it front and rear and that's what i thought but wasn't sure, that's why i asked about 2" but what if i do 2" on the rear and 1.25 on the front?

Redwolf

Think SERIOUSLY about how you'll be using the truck. Remember, the forward end is the same as an XJ.

Ed Stevens, an early member of NAXJA and a very experienced off-roader (and off-road racer, IIRC), put a lot of effort into exercising the front suspension of the XJ to determine an optimal tire setup. What he found was that 31x10.50s on factory alloy rimes will tuck up inside the fenders when the suspension compresses, allowing full suspension travel. However, if you add 2" or even 1-1/4" spacers in the front, you create a situation where 31" tires WON'T tuck up inside, they'll hit the flares and sheet metal. Then you have to cut, or install much taller bump stops to limit the amount by which the suspension can compress.