UPGRADED front end/steering components

The ZJ steering box has a quicker ratio too and is bolt in. I just bought one myself after reading that others here have done it. I've yet to have time to install it but have read good reviews.

does it matter what year its from?

It doesn't matter what year or model as long as it is a ZJ.

Yes it does. Some of the early 92 models did not have the 12.7 quick ratio steering. To be sure, get one from any 93-98 model. Engine does not matter.

Sounds interesting, so ALL 93-98 ZJ's will have the quicker steering? is this a true bolt in without any mods ? or is it like installing the durango box? in which you have to modify it a bit.

Some 96' Limited ZJs had a speed sensitive steering system to firm up the steering feel at highway speeds.  I believe the gearbox is the same though.  just sayin.....

If the ZJ quick ratio steering box is a 12.7 ratio, what is the ratio for the stock MJ/XJ steering box?

How much difference does it make.  Meaning the stock steering is XX turns, lock to lock.  With the ZJ box, it is YY turns, lock to lock?

Is there another plug and play quick(er) ratio box? Like from a Camaro or Firebird?

It is time for me to replace front end components on this 250K old street driven truck.  What are the prefered sources for new tie rod ends and ball joints?  Not looking for CRAP (Chinese Replacement Auto Parts), but reasonably priced would be good.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to swap out my steering box to the quick ratio one. Does the pump switch over too? Just wondering, Cause I was working on swapping out my sway bar, when I noticed that my steering box was leaking, and the pully has a small piece gone out of it on the pump. Anyone know what hoses are best?

I have the original steering box with a drop pitman arm and a new GM style pump from Allstar with Detroit Speed mount.  The pressure hose I made at work on the hose crimp machine.  The hydraulic hose is rated 9000 PSI.  I purchase fitting adapter from Summit to go on steering box port to SAE thread.  I like that the allstar pump pulley has holes so that the pump can be installed/removed without removing the pulley.

1012328_663245133788786_7747553006276208

10805700_707241406055825_286743117392635

10417675_662913847155248_390787856936865

10849866_707240572722575_889777513874464

I guess I should have said the truck is a 4.0 litre, 2wd. I'm mainly looking for bolt on junkyard swaps. Hornbrod, did you swap over the lines with the new pump? And was it a direct bolt up?

I guess I could just replace the pulley on mine, but it has a loud whine all the time, I put some Lucas power steering conditioner in it, and it's some quieter, but it bugs me and I don't want it to go out on me.

I got the pump from a rolled 04 Wrangler pump in 05, so the pump was almost new. Used the existing hoses that were on it. It was a direct bolt-on for me because I have the 01 intake manifold and 97+ power steering bracketry. It probably won't be a direct bolt-on for your setup.

What would be a good option for me that would be a bolt on?

I did this years ago, and now that I think back, I did use my stock 91 pump and bracketry originally after I changed out the steering gear. Later on when the pump started to leak I added the 97 and up bracketry and the new pump. The only difference in the pumps was a slight takeoff angle difference on the return hose nipple, so the 04 Wrangler pump option should work just fine on your setup too. The Saginaw TC pumps were used on many Jeep and GM vehicles and there are subtle differences, but they are all basically the same physical configuration.

• 2 months later...