UPGRADED front end/steering components

Just wondering what your guys preferences are, looking to upgrade some steering components such as a new tie rod, and drag link. I've already upgraded the track bar. with the stock steering components i literally need an alignment after every trail run  :fs1: , any preferences on sellers, or anything else i should look at upgrading up front? not looking to spend a 1500 doll hairs, but i want quality parts. THANKS

(86 comanche 2.5l 4 speed)

The ZJ steering (Drag link, Tie Rod, one adjusting sleeve, and two TRE's) is a nice upgrade. The aftermarket Moog ZJ draglink is more robust than the stock unit. You can reuse your adjusting sleeve at the pitman arm if in good shape. 

If you are looking for more strength, the Currie Currectlync is very nice. 

I am not a big fan of cross over or inverted T steering for on the road driving. My TJ Rubicon runs the ORO UTurn that I pulled off an axle I bought for my MJ. Hey, it was nearly 'free' so why no try it out? It is great off road, especially when trying to steer the Jeep with the front end flexed out, and is decent on road, but I much prefer the stock style steering and response on the road. 

The ZJ steering (Drag link, Tie Rod, and two TRE's) is a nice upgrade. The aftermarket Moog ZJ draglink is more robust than the stock unit. You can reuse your adjusting sleeve at the pitman arm if in good shape. 

If you are looking for more strength, the Currie Currectlync is very nice. 

I am not a big fan of cross over or inverted T steering for on the road driving. My TJ Rubicon runs the ORO UTurn that I pulled off an axle I bought for my MJ. Hey, it was nearly 'free' so why no try it out? It is great off road, especially when trying to steer the Jeep with the front end flexed out, and is decent on road, but I much prefer the stock style steering and response on the road. 

cool, I'm gonna look into the zj tie rod, and TRE's then the moog drag link. I still need to know what year would fit my 86 comanche? thanks much

I just order the ZJ parts for a 98 9'er. Be sure to shop around to get the best prices. The ZJ TRE is actually identical to the TRE at the pitman arm on your 86. ;)  

FYI - Federal Mogul (who makes Moog) recently introduced a new line called "Quick Steer" that is cheaper and has less of a warranty than Moog. I ordered a Quick Steer ZJ draglink for my '86 and it came with a Moog joint pressed into the end. I've only been running it for a few month now, so I cannot speak to its longevity yet but it did look identical to a Moog ZJ draglink I used on my TJ many moons ago.    

I bent the factory long tre my first trip out with the MJ. Upgraded to the ZJ stuff and I have had no further problems. You only need the long tre kit so don't pay for stuff that you do not need if it isn't worn out.

This was $96.04 including shipping & sales tax after using one of their ever present discount codes

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/omix-ada-tie-rod-long-kit-zj-v8-18054.09/10186043-P?zoneAssigned=1

http://comancheclub.com/topic/43867-relatively-cheap-tie-rod-upgrade/?p=446768

I bent the factory long tre my first trip out with the MJ. Upgraded to the ZJ stuff and I have had no further problems. You only need the long tre kit so don't pay for stuff that you do not need if it isn't worn out.

This was $96.04 including shipping & sales tax after using one of their ever present discount codes

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/omix-ada-tie-rod-long-kit-zj-v8-18054.09/10186043-P?zoneAssigned=1

http://www.amazon.com/Omix-Ada-18054-09-Drag-Link-Kit/dp/B000FQ80HO

Onlu $72 (:

The ZJ steering box has a quicker ratio too and is bolt in. I just bought one myself after reading that others here have done it. I've yet to have time to install it but have read good reviews.

does it matter what year its from?

It doesn't matter what year or model as long as it is a ZJ.

The best steering upgrade is the WJ knuckle conversion. I am slowly gathering parts to do it myself. Paired with the ruff stuff GM crossover steering you get strength, better steering, and better brakes.

This would be a better option but it's a very expensive option let alone paying someone to get the track bar mount welded on the axle...(if the op isn't a welder)...

http://www.amazon.com/Omix-Ada-18054-09-Drag-Link-Kit/dp/B000FQ80HO

Onlu $72 (:

For $72 anyone who takes their MJ off road should do this.

The ZJ steering box has a quicker ratio too and is bolt in. I just bought one myself after reading that others here have done it. I've yet to have time to install it but have read good reviews.

...and is a V8 ZJ

Yes it does. Some of the early 92 models did not have the 12.7 quick ratio steering. To be sure, get one from any 93-98 model. Engine does not matter.

Yes it does. Some of the early 92 models did not have the 12.7 quick ratio steering. To be sure, get one from any 93-98 model. Engine does not matter.

Sounds interesting, so ALL 93-98 ZJ's will have the quicker steering? is this a true bolt in without any mods ? or is it like installing the durango box? in which you have to modify it a bit.

Below text and picture is what I found.  I have the parts and painted the tie-rod today.  Why is the solid ZJ tie-rod bent?

ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

So, there I was after the Round #2 build up.  I had 35" MTRs on Lady.  I was sitting on 6" of lift and the Tera 4:1 was going to get me over obstacles that I had not tried before.  So.....yep....I was a bit nervous about the stock tie rod setup.  I mean, have you really taken a close look at it?  It is not exactly what one would call over built, if you know what I mean.  With the possibility of a Rubicon trip looming in the future, I wanted something up front that was going to keep the front tires pointed in the right direction.

I spoke with the guys at O-R Fab, who have done some steering conversions for TJs.  Scott K., a local Phoenix Jeeper I run trails with, had O-R Fab do a heavy duty tie rod conversion on his '97 TJ.  If memory serves me, they used 1 ton GM components.  It involved drilling out the steering knuckle to accept the larger ball studs that were used.  After considering this method, I decided to go a different route.

One of my California Jeepin' buddies, Robert Yates, told me about using a ZJ tie rod from a V-8 on his TJ.  He said it was a bolt on replacement for the stock tie rod and resulted in a much stronger setup.  I exchanged some e-mail with Robert some time back and got some more info on it.  This topic also comes up fairly often on JU and I copied some of the info from a thread the last time it was discussed.

Since I was due for a front end alignment after having had some welding done on the D-30, I decided I might as well get the new tie rod before the alignment.  If not, I would be back at the shop for a toe-in adjustment once the tie rod was installed.   

tie-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the soon to be replaced tie-rod end and the threaded end of the new tie rod end.  As you can see, it is a bit larger.  I took some measurements while in the garage.  The threaded section of the factory tie rod end measures .65" in diameter.  The ZJ end measures 1".  

The other major difference is the construction of the tie rod itself.  The factory TJ rod measures .88" O.D. and is hollow tubing.  On the other hand, the ZJ tie rod is 1" O.D. The ZJ tie rod and tie rod end are joined by a regular adjusting sleeve, like the one located near the pitman arm end of the drag link.

I purchased the replacement ZJ parts at a local Napa Auto Parts store (another reason I like this conversion because spare parts can be obtained from virtually any auto parts outlet....no custom ends to get from the aftermarket manufacturer).  Here are the Napa part numbers in case you want to save some time with the counter  person.  You will need one each of the below listed parts.  These are for a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 5.2L V-8 engine.  It is my understanding that the same parts are valid starting at the '95 model year, but I have not verified this.  Note that the Moog tie rod was obtained at the NAPA store....it just doesn't have a NAPA part number.

Item

Part Number

Tie Rod End

269-2788 (Napa #)
ES3096L (Moog #)

Adjusting Sleeve 269-1134 (Napa #)
ES2079S (Moog #)
Tie Rod  NCP 269-6085 (Napa #) or
DS1312  (Moog #)

NOTE:  Although I have not verified this personally, I got the NAPA # for the TJ drag link off of a forum.  It is supposedly 269-6090.  NAPA lists it as a R.H. Outer Tie Rod instead of a drag link.  The price quoted in the forum posting was about $70.  The poster stated it was dimensionally identical to the factory drag link.  If you have bent your existing drag link (35" tires will slowly do that) or you are looking for a spare, this sounds like reasonably priced option.

July 16, 2001

I stopped by my local alignment shop (Roosevelt Alignment) this morning to have my caster and toe adjusted.  I had stopped by last week and set up an appointment with Joe.  Since Joe and Vince where going to be right there where the old tie rod was, I figured they might as well install the new tie rod and do the alignment after that.  Joe removed my old tie rod and end together, so I'll be able to use it as a trail spare.  As it is now, it is "sitting close enough" so I can use it to drive home with and still have tires left when I get there.

tie-2.jpg

Here is the business end of the new ZJ rod after Joe and Vince got it into placed and all locked down.  As I indicated above, it is substantially "beefier".  Before Joe installed it, he handed me both tie rods.  Needless to say the ZJ assembly was much heavier.  It will go a long ways in keeping the MT/Rs pointed straight ahead.

Below text and picture is what I found.  I have the parts and painted the tie-rod today.  Why is the solid ZJ tie-rod bent?

ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

So, there I was after the Round #2 build up.  I had 35" MTRs on Lady.  I was sitting on 6" of lift and the Tera 4:1 was going to get me over obstacles that I had not tried before.  So.....yep....I was a bit nervous about the stock tie rod setup.  I mean, have you really taken a close look at it?  It is not exactly what one would call over built, if you know what I mean.  With the possibility of a Rubicon trip looming in the future, I wanted something up front that was going to keep the front tires pointed in the right direction.

I spoke with the guys at O-R Fab, who have done some steering conversions for TJs.  Scott K., a local Phoenix Jeeper I run trails with, had O-R Fab do a heavy duty tie rod conversion on his '97 TJ.  If memory serves me, they used 1 ton GM components.  It involved drilling out the steering knuckle to accept the larger ball studs that were used.  After considering this method, I decided to go a different route.

One of my California Jeepin' buddies, Robert Yates, told me about using a ZJ tie rod from a V-8 on his TJ.  He said it was a bolt on replacement for the stock tie rod and resulted in a much stronger setup.  I exchanged some e-mail with Robert some time back and got some more info on it.  This topic also comes up fairly often on JU and I copied some of the info from a thread the last time it was discussed.

Since I was due for a front end alignment after having had some welding done on the D-30, I decided I might as well get the new tie rod before the alignment.  If not, I would be back at the shop for a toe-in adjustment once the tie rod was installed.   

tie-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the soon to be replaced tie-rod end and the threaded end of the new tie rod end.  As you can see, it is a bit larger.  I took some measurements while in the garage.  The threaded section of the factory tie rod end measures .65" in diameter.  The ZJ end measures 1".  

The other major difference is the construction of the tie rod itself.  The factory TJ rod measures .88" O.D. and is hollow tubing.  On the other hand, the ZJ tie rod is 1" O.D. The ZJ tie rod and tie rod end are joined by a regular adjusting sleeve, like the one located near the pitman arm end of the drag link.

I purchased the replacement ZJ parts at a local Napa Auto Parts store (another reason I like this conversion because spare parts can be obtained from virtually any auto parts outlet....no custom ends to get from the aftermarket manufacturer).  Here are the Napa part numbers in case you want to save some time with the counter  person.  You will need one each of the below listed parts.  These are for a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 5.2L V-8 engine.  It is my understanding that the same parts are valid starting at the '95 model year, but I have not verified this.  Note that the Moog tie rod was obtained at the NAPA store....it just doesn't have a NAPA part number.

Item

Part Number

Tie Rod End

269-2788 (Napa #)

ES3096L (Moog #)

Adjusting Sleeve 269-1134 (Napa #)

ES2079S (Moog #)

Tie Rod  NCP 269-6085 (Napa #) or

DS1312  (Moog #)

NOTE:  Although I have not verified this personally, I got the NAPA # for the TJ drag link off of a forum.  It is supposedly 269-6090.  NAPA lists it as a R.H. Outer Tie Rod instead of a drag link.  The price quoted in the forum posting was about $70.  The poster stated it was dimensionally identical to the factory drag link.  If you have bent your existing drag link (35" tires will slowly do that) or you are looking for a spare, this sounds like reasonably priced option.

July 16, 2001

I stopped by my local alignment shop (Roosevelt Alignment) this morning to have my caster and toe adjusted.  I had stopped by last week and set up an appointment with Joe.  Since Joe and Vince where going to be right there where the old tie rod was, I figured they might as well install the new tie rod and do the alignment after that.  Joe removed my old tie rod and end together, so I'll be able to use it as a trail spare.  As it is now, it is "sitting close enough" so I can use it to drive home with and still have tires left when I get there.

tie-2.jpg

Here is the business end of the new ZJ rod after Joe and Vince got it into placed and all locked down.  As I indicated above, it is substantially "beefier".  Before Joe installed it, he handed me both tie rods.  Needless to say the ZJ assembly was much heavier.  It will go a long ways in keeping the MT/Rs pointed straight ahead.

what was the price on the tie rod, TRE, and sleeve?