mudding = my carb fubar

so as we all know i'm 2wd but still take my MJ mudding, well the last two times i've done it i've sucked in water/mud and messed up my carb, is there anyway to somehow seal my system to where i can mud and not suck in everything, i know i can't exactly seal off the air cleaner but what could i do to reduce my chances or messing stuff up when i do mud,

Redwolf

Your best bet to keep mud out of the carb is ...stop mudding. :yes:

i can't just stop mudding, that's like tellin someone to stop smokin  :rotf:

..., is there anyway to somehow seal my system to where i can mud and not suck in everything, ...

Redwolf

Snorkle

i've thought about a snorkle but that still doesn't stop the fact of the water that gets on top of the air cleaner

If your getting mud in the carb I would be more concerned with mud (dirt and water) that is getting into the engine through the carb. Do you have the factory air cleaner or an open element?

i do have the factory air cleaner if a air cleaner hose from the cleaner to the grille

If it were me, I'd look for something like this:

http://www.spectreperformance.com/mobile/product.aspx?prod=755

Then do the "windstar mod".

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/windstar-cowl-intake-1117102/

top one would be nice for a snorkle, bottom would be great untill i flood out,

Redwolf

If the problem is water leaking in around the wing nut just seal the wing nut wit silicone. You will need to reseal it every time you open it but it will work. Also remember your not messing up youcarb you are messing up your engine and running the chance of hydro locking it. If you are going to continue swamping the truck water proof it or set some money back for more junk yard engines.

i can't just stop mudding, that's like tellin someone to stop smokin :rotf:

..., is there anyway to somehow seal my system to where i can mud and not suck in everything, ...

Redwolf

Snorkle

i've thought about a snorkle but that still doesn't stop the fact of the water that gets on top of the air cleaner

If your getting mud in the carb I would be more concerned with mud (dirt and water) that is getting into the engine through the carb. Do you have the factory air cleaner or an open element?

i do have the factory air cleaner if a air cleaner hose from the cleaner to the grille

Redwolf

Damn. You run that deep in 2wd?

If the problem is water leaking in around the wing nut just seal the wing nut wit silicone. You will need to reseal it every time you open it but it will work. Also remember your not messing up youcarb you are messing up your engine and running the chance of hydro locking it. If you are going to continue swamping the truck water proof it or set some money back for more junk yard engines.

never thought about the wing nuts with silicone, how bout the over lip on the air cleaner top?

i can't just stop mudding, that's like tellin someone to stop smokin :rotf:

Redwolf

Snorkle

Redwolf

Damn. You run that deep in 2wd?

i aint afraid to try anything once plus if i have a buddy with a tow point i'll get out some how, normally when i mud i don't think of the aftermath,

Redwolf

never thought about the wing nuts with silicone, how bout the over lip on the air cleaner top?

A decent snorkle arrangement will not use the factory air cleaner, it will use something that can provide a decent seal.

Yes, it does.

i do have the factory air cleaner if a air cleaner hose from the cleaner to the grill

No good. See above.

i aint afraid to try anything once plus if i have a buddy with a tow point i'll get out some how, normally when i mud i don't think of the aftermath,

Time to start thinking about the aftermath. Didn't you just go through an engine swap to get your truck running again? Do you want to do that again? Even if you don't hydrolock it, every time you suck in mud you're effectively abrasive blasting the interior of your engine. You're going to destroy it. It's just that simple. Water on the top (outside) of the air cleaner wing nut is NOT your problem. It's a lot more serious than that. You need a good snorkle that will relocate the carburetor air intake up high enough that you won't be sucking in mud and water.

You need something like this: http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-cherokee-snorkel.html

A decent snorkle arrangement will not use the factory air cleaner, it will use something that can provide a decent seal.

Yes, it does.

i do have the factory air cleaner if a air cleaner hose from the cleaner to the grill

No good. See above.

Time to start thinking about the aftermath. Didn't you just go through an engine swap to get your truck running again? Do you want to do that again? Even if you don't hydrolock it, every time you suck in mud you're effectively abrasive blasting the interior of your engine. You're going to destroy it. It's just that simple. Water on the top (outside) of the air cleaner wing nut is NOT your problem. It's a lot more serious than that. You need a good snorkle that will relocate the carburetor air intake up high enough that you won't be sucking in mud and water.

You need something like this: http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-cherokee-snorkel.html

i've looked at safari snorkels before but never really thought much of them as i have a carb, but now the snorkels i was lookin at do seem like a good idea i just don't know how the mount up, i always see them goin up the side of a windshield of jeeps,

Redwolf

i've looked at safari snorkels before but never really thought much of them as i have a carb, but now the snorkels i was lookin at do seem like a good idea i just don't know how the mount up, i always see them goin up the side of a windshield of jeeps,

That's where they run. The purpose is to get the air inlet up high enough, and perhaps facing to the rear, so the intake is above any water or muck that you're likely to encounter.

That's where they run. The purpose is to get the air inlet up high enough, and perhaps facing to the rear, so the intake is above any water or muck that you're likely to encounter.

well i guess if i can't sell the MJ, and can fix it, it's project snorkel,

Redwolf