d44 axle questions

Ok so I was at a local JY, and they had a international scout 800A, I was wondering if the d44 out of the back would work on my mj? I know spring perches, and gears, but is it narrower than my d35 or wider? I can't get back to the yj for a few weeks or I would measure it myself, everything was set up like an mj, rear was centered diff, and front was drivers side diff. And also what about the front is it also a d44?

56" and change for the Scout 800 D44. The front is a closed knuckle D30; not the best thing to get. Unless you're going with tires bigger than 35's I'd stick with a Jeep D30 in the front and swap in an Explorer 8.8 in the back or go with a ChryCo 8.25. Using a 40 year old rear end just because it's a D44 makes no sense to me.

Most D44's prior to 1971 were much weaker than the D44 we all think of. They used thin diameter 19 spline shafts and 2-piece hubs like a D35 and are probably not much stronger than one. The front is most likely a D27 or if it late enough it is the weaker low pinion D30. On either the brakes and such of this era are were generally smaller as well.

Don't get hung up on the name of an axle as most have many different versions and the early versions were generally a lot weaker. A late 70s D44 front is probably the equal of a mid 60s D60 front due to running design changes. A lot of people get taken by buying an axle on name instead of that particular axle's specs.

I love my old scout II but it is lacking in the axle dept, ive got a drum brake LP D30 and a D44 hooked to a V8 and a 4spd.

Luckily I don't plan to wheel it so it's fine with wimpy axles, I would like to upgrade the front to a D44 someday but for the disc brakes more then a strength upgrade.