all wheel drive jeep

Is there anyway to make a 1989 jeep Comanche all wheel drive? I am asking because I say this video on you tube of ken Block drifting around L.A. after I say that video I looked at my jeep and I said to my brother and said I want to do that to the jeep and I am going to give it a health powertrain and it will be very low to the ground but I am going to make it fiber glass body and stuff but it will be very mean and fast

I mean the trailblazer ss guys running ls2's and awd making big power numbers. Looks like they use a 4l70. Either way, 5.3 and 4l60 from a 4x4 Chevy pickup, easy to get good numbers out of the lsx line. Have the trans built to handle decent power, grab the awd tcase from the silerado or trailblazer as. Make it work.

Can't speak for the Mustang in question, but a typical rallye car as used in previous Gymkhana videos has a LOT more than the typical AWD setup.

Torque-vectoring differentials front, rear, and center — far more than can be accomplished with a torque-biasing limited slip — with clutches on the rear axle to cut power so the hydraulic handbrake can properly lock the rear wheels. This is in addition to the sequential transmission, fully adjustable and independent suspension, massive turbo, and everything else that makes it a race car.

Do you really need all this? Probably not. A beefy enough drivetrain with limited slips or even lockers would likely get you there. Snow, or even rain makes things easier of course. Just don't expect to not break things.

Pretty sure this thing is stock, although It's apparently an export-model Libby with the 3.0CRD, which so far as I know, the Libby never got. You could hit the parking lot with what you got now, and add beef when things break. Just be safe, be legal, and don't come after me when you break things.

Y

Is there anyway to make a 1989 jeep Comanche all wheel drive? I am asking because I say this video on you tube of ken Block drifting around L.A. after I say that video I looked at my jeep and I said to my brother and said I want to do that to the jeep and I am going to give it a health powertrain and it will be very low to the ground but I am going to make it fiber glass body and stuff but it will be very mean and fast

You are going to fabricate a fiberglass body?

Ken Block was driving a purpose built 1965 Mustang/AWD...the way we all pinch pennys around here I am sure we wouldn't even want to know the price tag on that thing.

You can buy the motor it has for $50 direct from Roush

http://www.roushyatesparts.com/racing-engine-p/ryscfa410.htm

That would be a good start to getting you what you want.   Probably another 30-40K for the trans and tcase, then you'd just need axles.

That or use the np249 out of the full time Grand Cherokees. Only downside to those is you don't get a true 4low because of the viscous coupling, which is also the most common and most expensive failure part in them (which is why it's not in my GC anymore)

I would like to make an honest suggestion to the OP: build a RC car instead. Get a couple, some knock off Go-Pros, and a helicopter drone. Make a ton of videos. You will have just as much fun and won't kill yourself with it. Your skill level sounds a little bit novice for engineering a real race car, but RC is great for that.

I would like to make an honest suggestion to the OP: build a RC car instead. Get a couple, some knock off Go-Pros, and a helicopter drone. Make a ton of videos. You will have just as much fun and won't kill yourself with it. Your skill level sounds a little bit novice for engineering a real race car, but RC is great for that.

:agree:

That or use the np249 out of the full time Grand Cherokees. Only downside to those is you don't get a true 4low because of the viscous coupling, which is also the most common and most expensive failure part in them (which is why it's not in my GC anymore)

The 249 in 97 and 98 Grands has a locking viscous coupler, that locks the front and rear together in 4 low.

The 249 in 97 and 98 Grands has a locking viscous coupler, that locks the front and rear together in 4 low.

Did not know that. Still a very expensive part to replace.

The viscous coupling goes bad after a time and is VERY expensive to replace. That is why a lot of 249s get replaced with a 242 when (not if) it goes bad.