Lift kit

I know this is a question this forums receives alot. But I'm going ahead and ask. I am wanting to run 33 inch tires on my 1988 MJ. What would be a good lift kit and how high do I need to go without cutting the front fenders.

Avoid Rough Country. Rocky Road is also less then scrupulous as well. Zone is looking decent.

Honestly I would look at an SOA for 33's especially if you want to keep your factory sheet metal and do some 'wheeling. More expensive, true, but worth it in the end IMHO. There is a popular version on here if you want a street truck and some for the off-road oriented enthusiast... :)

I've seen xjs at 3 on 33s, but they cut a lot. 4.5 on 33 is my aim as well, I decided against SOA because it's just a little too high. I've got an 8.25 with the perches already set up for the mj but I don't want it that tall. Maybe the next one will get it.

Tprman, as soon as I get to it, I've got 5.5 Rubicon express springs, with the Rough country Long arm kit that I'm going to install on my 89, I'll soa the rear.  33's is what I want to clear, but I am planning on trimming the front fender.  You're welcome to swing by and look the parts over if that's something you are considering. 

If you plan on wheeling it then I would buy the best lift you can afford. Buy once, cry once!

I went with the Clayton pro series 3 link in the front. I believe it's money well spent.

Before my recent overhaul I used to run 33s on about 4 inches of lift with cut fenders. Even with cut fenders the tires would still rub like crazy off-road.

Hey man, I did 5.5 front, 4.5 rear hellcreek springs. The front was initially rough country, then I replaced that junk with rubicon express adjustable control arms. My truck was comanche of the month a couple months ago so there are plenty of pics.with my bushwackers I can run 255 85 16s , which are almost 34" but narrow

6.5" rough country (i don't recommend rough country!) with SOA on 33's and 3.75" backspacing. I have a bit of rub when i fully turn but no big issues and NO trimming

There is no way you're at 6.5" up front.

To clear 33's, plan on either lifting 4.5" and trimming your fenders pretty good or lift 6.5" to clear OEM flares (will still need minor trimming).

• 1 year later...

That 'kit' consists of shocks, single rate coil springs, short AALs and centering pins. The 'kit' is far from complete. The most expensive part of the 'kit' is the shocks. If you are getting new shocks why start with such an incomplete pile of parts? You can buy new progressive rate coils and a full length AAL (or other used leaf springs to build a bastard pack). Oh don't forget the centering pins.

Still, at 3" of lift you really ought to get brake lines, bumpstops, longer sway bar links and an adjustable trackbar. Using the stock control arms will alter the ride and handling characteristics of the truck, but usable at 3".

• 10 months later...

6.5" rough country (i don't recommend rough country!) with SOA on 33's and 3.75" backspacing. I have a bit of rub when i fully turn but no big issues and NO trimming

i5u5ms.jpg

Why does the truck have a racked look? is it 6.5" all the way around?

not sure about the actual truck pictured, but I know putting the leafs on top of the axle gives different results depending on the sag of the leafs, the diameter of the axle, and the height of the perches.