XJ steering wheel removal?

Going back to a Pick N Pull this morning for a few more items. 

One thing is a nice steering wheel from a 93 Country edition.  Need some quick instruction on steering wheel removal.  What size nut holds the wheel on?  My tools are limited to small sockets, 17 or 19 mm wrench and a very large Crescent wrench.  Yes Have an assortment of screw drivers and a big hammer.

You'll need a steering wheel puller.......look to OReily to borrow one.

You may get lucky, the wheel may be loose enough on the shaft to pull it off.....but.......leave the nut on the end of the shaft while you smack the back of the wheel or you'll get a fat lip.

Thanks Jeep Driver.  Sounds like I will leave it on the car.  I am a long way from home and have an 8+ hour drive today.

I cannot tell you how many times I have done the same.....passed up what I wanted for one reason or the other.

The 'I'll get it later' or 'another one will come along'........never seems to happen.

If you want it....get it now.

Thanks Jeep Driver.  Sounds like I will leave it on the car.  I am a long way from home and have an 8+ hour drive today.

I cannot tell you how many times I have done the same.....passed up what I wanted for one reason or the other.

The 'I'll get it later' or 'another one will come along'........never seems to happen.

Yes I know.  But it was raining in the Bay Area when I got up and this Southern California kid might melt in the rain.  So I left a near perfect Comanche tailgate (I have 3 anyway), a near perfect rear factor step bumper, an overhead console, a pair of Comanche bucket seats, a very good set of XJ seats, and some fancy door cards with wood trim and jensen speakers.  In addition there were two Comanche emergency brake setups, 1 spare tire winch and 2 rear load sensors for the brakes.  Besides, I might have been killed when I got home with all that stuff.

I did get the full dash board assembly, which is what I really wanted (not need - wanted)

This was my second trip to the Bay Area in 8 days.  That is about 2000 miles of driving all by my lonesome. And 4 nights in hotels out of 8 days.  All for my hobby. 

Tried to get Anita to come along, but she didn't think it would have been fun to go to a Junk Yard - imagine that.  I don't think she has gotten over the time we stopped at a Junk Yard in Waco, Texas and I filled her car up with salvage parts - something about the bumper I put on the dashboard to the back of the rear seat and insisted we drive home 1200 miles with it like that way.

Damn John, sounds like Anita has lost her sense of humor.  :yes:   A few months ago I took my wife to the yard looking for accessory stuff for her JK, and she loved it. Spent most of the day pulling stuff, and she was wrenching having a good time. Wore me out.

Since then I find it a lot easier to take the short drive down to crusty Rusty's where they sell brand new JK take-off stuff for dirt cheap.

This is the best advice.  I did that to a front skid a couple of years ago and I've been kicking myself ever since... Could've gotten it for $10 at the JY...

Been there as well. Went for factory tow hooks a couple years ago and found an XJ with full skids, a nice RE lift, aftermarket bumpers, ect. It was raining and I didn't feel like laying in the mud so I figured I'd just come back the next day but someone bought the whole Jeep before I could come back. Probably could have gotten $3k worth of stuff for a couple hundred.

Damn John, sounds like Anita has lost her sense of humor.  :yes:   A few months ago I took my wife to the yard looking for accessory stuff for her JK, and she loved it. Spent most of the day pulling stuff, and she was wrenching having a good time. Wore me out.

Since then I find it a lot easier to take the short drive down to crusty Rusty's where they sell brand new JK take-off stuff for dirt cheap.

JKs in a junkyard?!

We would be lucky to have a TJ in a junkyard up here! And if they are, they are so picked clean its ridiculous!

JKs in a junkyard?!

We would be lucky to have a TJ in a junkyard up here! And if they are, they are so picked clean its ridiculous!

x2

Once in a blue moon we might get a YJ, but that's it for Wranglers. I almost never see anything but XJs and ZJs and some WJs. On occasion we get an MJ but even that's rare and when we do get them there's very little worth pulling off em.

I never understand where people get JK Rubi axles from either unless they're buying them new.

A puller is best, but in a pinch you can use a hammer......unscrew the nut (take it completely off) and strike the end of the steering shaft rapidly with short blows.  That will induce a vibration and the wheel will slowly pull up and off the splines on the shaft.

... it was raining in the Bay Area ... So I left a near perfect Comanche tailgate (I have 3 anyway), a near perfect rear factor step bumper, an overhead console, a pair of Comanche bucket seats, a very good set of XJ seats, and some fancy door cards with wood trim and jensen speakers. In addition there were two Comanche emergency brake setups, 1 spare tire winch and 2 rear load sensors for the brakes

In which yard are these gems?