AX15 Lubricant

Seems to be conflicting things online about what's acceptable.

10w30 is all you need? I was thinking on using a synthetic 10w30 like amsoil or mobile one which is spec for some transfer case rebuilders. I will run this in the t case but is it ok for the trans? The trans is a 97 if that matters. All the the specifications from back then are obsolete today.

Transfer case uses ATF (Mercon/Dexron III).

AX15 uses standard 75w90 gear oil, the owners manuals ad a misprint and the recommemded oil spec (GL-5) was actually corrosive to the brass synchros. Use plain old off the shelf and cheap GL-3. Although some have also used 5 or 10w30 with good results as well.

Yes I'm aware ATF is what the factory says. I bought a reman np231 and the builder actually would void the warranty if anything but a synthetic 10w30 was used. That case has over 30k and counting now. But that ain't what this thread is about. Haha

So GL3 75w90 -or- plain ol 10w30 engine oil. (I would use Rotella. Same as the engine.)

Thank you.

What about Pennzoil Synchromesh?  I had my BA10 serviced last year and shop owner told me to use that and not regular 75-90.

I am putting an AX15 into an '84 CJ7 and was going to use Synchromesh in that.  The trans came out of a 90 XJ.

Ok, slightly off topic...but not too far.

My 84 CJ7 has a Dana 300 t-case.  The FSM says to use the same oil as the trans.  The D300 is gear driven, not chain. 

So, is it OK to use 10-30 in the D300 t-case?

On a transfer case without brass synchros, GL5 should be fine including 75w90. Early 231 cases had a brass synchro between 2wd and 4wd high range, but I think later ones (94 and newer?) did away with it. I also didn't see one in the 94 242 that lives under my daughter's Cherokee.