Stalling out craziness.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Got a ballast resistor for the fuel pump. A guy told me he had a similiar problem one time and it was the resistor. So I figured 11$? Why the heck not. Gonna hopefully rent a good fuel pressure guage Saturday and get back to messing on the trouble maker. I wanna see what that pressure is once the trucks warmed up...

Well it was the perfect day today to do a pressure test. Ended up not raining at all. But of course Oreillys forgot to order a new pressure gauge. In other words I changed my ballast resistor. And it's interesting because my fuel pump is no longer loud as hell. It's silent but I can tell it's working because I hear a small silent motor sound with a click to tell me the motor stopped when pressure built up. Also I found that my old ballast resistor was shatter on the inside. Could this have been a problem? Quite possibly. Didn't test the truck but I plan to when I get the pressure gauge.

Crap. Well it was worth changing any ways. Now just to wait for a fuel pressure test. Which is also why I messaged you about the gauge fittings. I'm tired of dealing with renting a gauge all the time lol. Just trying to find somewhere that sells the straight adapter and doesn't have 10$ shipping.

That's what I'm wanting to do, Mr Hornbrod. I just can't find that straight adapter fitting on anywhere other than the website you had a link for and it says 10$ shipping on top of the 13$ part. Any chance that a store around here would have them? I wouldn't mind the shipping if it wasn't such a small part and the shipping costs almost as much as the product itself...

That's much better shipping prices. Definitely will order off there when I do. But upon searching Ebay I also found this

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=400498514939&alt=web

And it's 12$ shipped with a elbow adapter. It says that its a Schrader valve so would you think it would work? I messaged the seller for details on the size of the female end of the elbow to see if it matches up to what's required for the gauge. I'll buy the Casper if I have to. I'm just a little bit of a penny pincher if the quality doesn't differ between products.

Yes, that one will work - the Jeep 4.0 fuel rail flared Schrader threads are the same as the GM rails. The Ford Schrader rail threads are smaller. But I preferred the one-piece brass straight adapter as it has one less threaded joint to leak.  :thumbsup:

On a Renix it needs an elbow I believe so that it clears the vacuum lines in front of the schrader valve. I THINK, at least. If the female threads end up being the same as a gauge fitting then I know what I'm getting for my birthday heheh :D or are all gauge threads the same for pressure gauges?

And update time! Got my fuel pressure gauge on. And I LOVE it. Best mod I've done, right after my Volvo injectors. Dadinator I highly recommend you do it. But anyways. The fuel pressure was at 30 with the key ON and truck off. At first while running it was at 29 with vacuum and 39 without. No stalling and truck didn't have a rough idle. But after letting the truck run for a bit I noticed that the fuel pressure got lower and lower and the gauge fluctuated more and more as the idle got lower and lower and the tachometer started fluctuating. The pressure got as low as 24 psi just at idle, and fluctuated a bunch. Then I cut the truck off so it could cool down for a bit and I cranked it again to test the stalling (because it only stalls if I let the truck cool down for a few minutes) when I cranked it back up the pressure and idle were both low, still. And both fluctuated like I expected. When I revved the engine the fuel pressure shot down to around 20 and when I let off the throttle the truck tried to stall and the fuel pressure was shooting between 22 and 24 while it was trying to stall. I kept the truck alive and it continued to idle low and all that. With the truck off the fuel pressure depleted itself within 10 minutes. What are ya'll thinking?

12$ shipped for the adapter off Ebay and $25 for the gauge shipped. Plus 1$ for teflon tape. Worth every bit. And I've already changed regulator and filter so all thats left is the pump. The gauge is a tight fit with the vacuum harness but its not hard at all to make work.

A drop in pressure and/or erratic pressure can be caused by a clogged sock filter or rotten fuel line in the tank, or the pump going out. You'll have to pull it out of the tank and take a peek. And replace it while you have it out.