Stalling out craziness.

MAP sensor is on and reading correctly. Helped the fluctuation a little bit but didn't change anything else. I also found out that my fuel pressure regulator vacuum line was clogged... No vacuum. I fixed that and it didn't change anything really. Still stalls out some, fluctuates, and is a really low idle. I've changed just about every sensor on this dang thing. I'm starting to think this is a fuel problem but it really doesn't seem likely. Could the CTS have anything to do with this? It's basically the only sensor I haven't changed. I'm going to continue cleaning electrical connectors when it stops raining tomorrow and I'm going to grab a fuel pressure gauge. What else do I need to do?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a fuel pressure gauge and plan to run the tests tomorrow morning. I know it needs 31 with the key ON and the regulator connected and 40 with the regulator disconnected. But how will disconnecting the regulator change anything if the engine isn't running and providing vacuum? What PSI's should I looking for while the engine is idling? And lastly how do I check to make sure the regulator is operating correctly? Lot's of questions, I know. But slowly chipping off the possibilities.

Thanks.

Is it supposed to have to be running to even show on the pressure gauge? Because mine showed zero no matter how many times I set the key to ON. But when I cranked the truck it had 28 PSI with vacuum and 36 with no vacuum. Showing about 3-4 PSI low. Immediately when I shut the truck off the gauge went back down to 0. As far as I can tell, my fuel pressure regulator is working properly. But something in the fuel system seems weak or clogged, right?

Is it supposed to have to be running to even show on the pressure gauge? Because mine showed zero no matter how many times I set the key to ON. But when I cranked the truck it had 28 PSI with vacuum and 36 with no vacuum. Showing about 3-4 PSI low. Immediately when I shut the truck off the gauge went back down to 0. As far as I can tell, my fuel pressure regulator is working properly. But something in the fuel system seems weak or clogged, right?

Weak or leaking, correct. 

Pull the vacuum hose of the fuel pressure regulator and see if it smells like gasoline. 

Well thank you, sir  :thumbsup: quick update is that I've gotten no progress at all done on the truck, sadly. I've got to order a fuel pressure regulator and get a filter to swap in but just haven't gotten the time between church and interviews/training for a job. Progress on every aspect of my truck should soon pickup as I finally got a weekly paying job and don't have to cut corners as much hopefully. Can I replace the regulator without removing the fuel rail?

Well thank you, sir  :thumbsup: quick update is that I've gotten no progress at all done on the truck, sadly. I've got to order a fuel pressure regulator and get a filter to swap in but just haven't gotten the time between church and interviews/training for a job. Progress on every aspect of my truck should soon pickup as I finally got a weekly paying job and don't have to cut corners as much hopefully. Can I replace the regulator without removing the fuel rail?

I can't remember.

And congrats on the job!!

Thanks again  :yes: Standard Motor Products Regulator and a Wix filter is on the way. Does a dealer sell the 2 O rings that go on the quick disconnect fuel line in the regulator? I can get them 2 for 10$ from Advance but I mean 10$ for 2 Orings is ridiculous...

Probably not.

Fuel disconnects

Quick disconnect part numbers

So far the Napa part numbers for just orings is:

Napa 730-5018 3/8 Viton individual orings $1.56 each
Napa 730-5017 5/16 Viton individual orings $1.35 each
Napa CRB 212305 fuel line repair kit 5/16? $15.93 each

Mopar repair kits:

83502745 fuel line repair kit 5/16 $6.99 Morris
83504447 fuel line/Trans line repair kit 3/8 $8.99 Morris

Luckily the regulator came with all the Orings. The one for the fuel rail and the two for the line (and the spacer!). I've been waiting for a clear day to swap everything in. I'm highly considering again sending back this TPS and ordering one of the MOPAR ones once I get my paycheck Tuesday... There is just SOMETHING that bugs me about the fact that the new TPS mostly fixed the problem and there has been reports of aftermarket TPS's not being as good as OE. Just something thats been burning in the back of my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Update finally! Regulator and filter are both on and neither leak from what I can tell. I couldn't start the truck because I need to get a smaller elbow for the vacuum line connection on the regulator. Old one was way to big. The fuel pump is loud. I've recently (since upgrading my positive cables) noticed it being much louder than it used to. But if I leave the key off for more than 10 seconds then the fuel pump runs again when I turn the key to ON. Is there any test for the fuel pump to tell if it's not working correctly? I can't find a leak ANY where. Not even on the sending unit where I had to fix a leak with Quik Steel last summer. If I have to change the fuel pump then I'm going to be looking for a good sending unit because my gas gauge doesn't work and I want to go ahead and fix it if I can while I have the fuelpump/sending unit assembly out.

• 2 weeks later...

Kh, have you started the truck since this? Is it fixed? I am working on all the ground refreshes now. I seem to have pretty good grounds from what i can tell though.

That's just it. You can't really "tell". You just have to be thorough and go through the procedures. 

I still haven't gotten to rent a fuel gauge and get a vacuum line elbow and start the truck again. My work schedule has been horrible lately. It'd be done if Oreillys renting time wasn't just 2 days... haven't gotten a day where I could rent it, use it, and take it back within the next couple days. I'm hoping and praying to get it done this weekend. I need a garage...

I managed to connect a fuel pressure gauge and test the regulator. And guess what? The system actually holds its pressure for about 30 seconds now. And I think the low pressure is Oreillys giving me a faulty pressure gauge. The gauge constantly leaks fuel through the plastic line, even when I don't hold down the relief button. I'm thinking thats why I'm only getting 26 PSI with vacuum and 34 without. Just can't build up enough pressure while its constantly flowing through the gauge. Or am I wrong and the pressure gauge is supposed to do that? It just makes sebse to me that it shouldn't... But hey! The regulator fixed one thing so far :D progress!