86 2.8l ax5 to 95 3.4l / 94+ ax15

So I have finished most of the body work on my 86 manche and have made up my mind about the engine and tranny, going to yank the 2.8l and the ax5 out of my 86, I already ordered in my 3.4l from a 95 Camaro yesterday at my local parts store.  Going to be ordering in an external slave ax15 tranny from the mid to later 90 years either off ebay or see If i can find a donor vehicle or worst case scenario- same store as I grabbed the engine and also going to try and scoop a Dakota Bell housing to mate the ax15.  Still unsure whether to go the fuel injection route or Carb, but leaning more towards fuel injection since I found a this company which makes doing the wiring harness seem not too bad... 

http://www.bmcautos.com/britmarket/engine-conversions-and-parts/engine-conversions-and-parts-electrical/fuel-injection-harness-complete-system-3-4l-v6-l32-detail

Going to be grabbing-

Np231 TC 23 spline if the tranny I grab doesnt come from a vehicle with one already.

As well I have read that I need to use a 84 Camaro Clutch from the 4spd/4cyl anyone know of any different options here or is that basically it?

However I heard there may be some issues with the rear drive shaft length, any info on this would be great!

As well anyone who has done a similar swap and knows of any other Issues I may be running into feel free to chime on in.  Thanks!

That I am not to sure of, most of the write ups I have been reading are for 2.5l Xjs and they all say to use the clutch disc from the camaro only.  But I don't know whether that is just their preference or a size fitment issue.  

Pressure plate --- Keep your stock 2.5L pressure plate for your year
Flywheel --- Get your resurfaced or buy a new for your year 2.5L
Clutch Slave --- Dodge Dakota 96 NAPA P/N UP360045
Clutch Line --- makes it easy to hook up to Jeep master cylinder to Dakota slave Advanced Adapters P/N 716130TJ + 716130H (call them at 805 238 7000 for your application)
Pilot Bushing --- Advanced Adapters P/N 716167 for .750" OD input shaft tip. If smaller .60" OD then reuse stock. Measure the AX-15 with calipers to find out.

Not really sure how applicable all this is to my jeep with the bigger 3.4 motor thats going in ha!..  :doh:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_XJ/Project_XJ.htm

Here is a good link with a bunch of good info.

As for the clutch you can get a neutrally balanced flywheel from a newer s10 though I can't remember the years . You don't have to swap the tranny out right away ya know , it can be done later on so you can focus on just the swap . Just a thought

You need nothing for aftermarket parts.

At worst...at absolute worst....you use all the camaro parts and have to fab a new fork for the throwout from the camaro. Maybe even shave the pivot ball mount and push rod down.

But then when you order clutch parts, its for one vehicle, not 8 million different non related part numbers.

I have DONE this. And the 3800 flywheel is thicker.

If you use the 2.8 flywheel, neutrally balanced, you can use the 2.8 clutch and all. It is identical to the 4 cyl clutches in every dimension.

From what i found the only Comaro to use the same spline as the AX15 was the 4spd ones, all others from what I could tell used a different spline count.

I tried crossing to all sorts of different vehicles and the disc only seemed to cross to 4 cyl 4spd Comaro and IIRC some Jeep Commandos.

AX5 is 14 spline and most Comaro 5spds are 14 or 26 spline, Jeep AX15 is 10 spline.

IIRC the Dakota AX15 is also 14 spline, this is why you can't just use the Dakota disc.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_XJ/Project_XJ.htm

Here is a good link with a bunch of good info.

As for the clutch you can get a neutrally balanced flywheel from a newer s10 though I can't remember the years . You don't have to swap the tranny out right away ya know , it can be done later on so you can focus on just the swap . Just a thought

Actually as I was feeling overloaded with school, work, and trying to do both these jobs a the same time so I am actually just going to focus on putting the engine in first, then worry about the trans after that.  However I am going to be ordering some of the trans swap parts to hold on the side because so far I have only been able to find 1 available 2.5 dakota bell housing :bowdown:

and I think at that point when I do swap the trans ill just use advanced adapter centerforce clutch disc and keep my pressure plate and flywheel after getting it nuetrally balanced.  

I know I need to buy an electric fuel pump because the 3.4 doesnt have the set up for the manual pump and I am pretty certain that is what mine is.  Which also means I need the oil pressure switch, but do I need an inline pump or in-tank pump?  This is for the fuel injection set up as well so I would want a high pressure fuel pump?

I fail to see the need to go to an ax15...the 3.4 isn't going to roast the ax5.

The camaro 3.8 clutch disc I used was fit directly to an ax15 that I was going to swap in. Considering that it used the same part number trans as the 3.4 t5s, safe assumption that you won't have an issue.

Also, if you are keeping the jeep carb system...you may as well quit while you are ahead.

If you want to stay carb, look for a 4bbl intake for the 60 degree engines and a Holley 390cfm carb.

If you use the 2.8 flywheel, neutrally balanced, you can use the 2.8 clutch and all. It is identical to the 4 cyl clutches in every dimension.

Doesn't the AX-15 have a larger input shaft? That means you can use the 2.8L pressure plate, but the disc (the part that engages the input shaft) will have to be something that will fit the AX-15 tranny.