ba10/5 np207 combo behind 88 4.0

Before anyone gives me the ax15 or nv3550 speech I'd just like to point out that I know they are better options. But I'm on a budget and the only thing I need for my 4x4 swap now is a trans. I found a ba10/5 with just under 100k on it out of a yj with the 4.2. I also have an np207 t-case with 107k on it with the same spline count. I've read that the ba10s came with either 207s or 231s. Will this work behind my 4.0? Id really like to get my 4x4 swap done before winter.

The 207 isn't as good as the 231 and, IIRC, the low range is 2.6x:1 rather than 2.72:1, but there's no reason it won't work. Just remember that the YJ transfer case shifted with a lever mounted rirectly to the t-case. I believe you'll have to change the linkage to get it to work with an MJ frame-mounted shifter.

The 207 I have is out of my 86 mj. I have a 231 but its a 23 spline input. Not to worried about low range because I don't do much heavy off roading. I'm just looking for something that will get me through the winter so I can save up for an ax15 or nv3550

What would be a reasonable price to spend on a ba10/5

Zero.

Seriously. I have the BA 10/5 in my '88 XJ and it's still going at 287,000+ miles, but if it were to blow I wouldn't try to repair it and I certainly wouldn't spend money on another one. My 'druthers would be the 3550, but that's pricey so I would probably go with an AX-15, and look for a post-94 to get the external slace cylinder.