Full console with column shift

I plan on going to bucket seats in the future and will also probably install a full center console. I was wondering if anyone else had done this with a column shift auto and what they did to address the empty hole where the shifter would usually go?

I could easily just block it off but I wanted to see what others have done.

I'd imagine that the logical thing to go there would be a cupholder of some sort. Not sure how much space there is to work with, since I don't have one myself.

That is what I am thinking.

If you are gonna do it, why not just use a 97+ center console. That might be a far reach for a cupholder. Or why not swap to a floor shift?

I'd imagine that the logical thing to go there would be a cupholder of some sort. Not sure how much space there is to work with, since I don't have one myself.

That is what I am thinking.

If you are gonna do it, why not just use a 97+ center console. That might be a far reach for a cupholder. Or why not swap to a floor shift?

I might go with a 97+ console but i will still have to address the shift gate hole. Swapping to a floor shifter would be way to much work. I'd have to swap the column, gauges, and reroute the shifter cable. I really don't think filling the hole is a problem. I was just seeing if anyone else had done it and how they addressed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I left it open because I knew I was gonna do a manual swap. While I still had the space, I used it as a cup holder. I was planning on putting a piece of metal over it, drilling some holes for actual cup holders, but the manual swap happened sooner than I expected :thumbsup:

One thing you might want to consider:  Dodge Dakota bench 60/40 seat with a fold down center console.  Some of the full size Ram trucks had bench seats with very near buckets on each side and a neat fold down console in the center seat position.  There is one or two posts in the DIY section if you look for "Dakota seat" or something close to that.

I got rid of the stock bench seat and currently have Laredo buckets with matching door panels.  Nothing in the center right now.  Did find a full Comanche center console with the factory plastic block for the Cherokee parking brake.  Still have to figure out what to do with the floor gear shift space.  So I will be interested in your solution.  Have to say the Laredo buckets are not really the most comfortable for me.  The "wings" on the seat back just do not fit my back very well.   So I am experimenting with a pair of buckets from a 94 Grand Cherokee.  They will not look as good with the rest of the Laredo interior, but on the few times I take the Comanche for a long drive they just might be a bit more comfortable.

One more thing I want to look at the Lexus or Infinity interiors for some possible Ideas.  The bucket seats in Anita's 2003 Camry are fine on a 1200 mile drive. So I think the Lexus seats would be comfortable.  There is a whole lot to be said about the durability of the old Toyota Camry seat material.  The interior of my father's old 89 Camry still looks good today, inspite of 6 or 7 years of neglect has heaped on it.

Sorry for the thread hijack. 

• 2 months later...

The Laredo seats look like they sit back quite a bit.  Is there any more legroom than with the bench seat???

No more let room with the buckets.  Seat backs seem to go back further and not sit up as straight.  Back on the 2 door buckets has a lot of "slop" in them.  Had 4 or 5 different sets of 2 door buckets and they all had the same issue.  You put your hand on the seat back and it can be moved for and aft by 2 or 3 inches.  Long about 1995 Jeep changed the way the Cherokee seats fold forward and solved that problem.