Your thoughts on a 91 Pioneer for sale

OK well I'll spare you all the details but long story short is a family members' friend owns this truck. I told him earlier this year to call me if he ever wants to sell it. Then a few months later I found my current 88. He contacted me today to say he's now looking to sell his 91 so I'm going to go look at it and give him my thoughts, I probably won't buy it but it's not out of the question.

Here's what I know:

1991 Pioneer, 2WD

4.0L I-6

Column shift automatic

Has air/tilt/cruise - unknown if it works at this point

Factory sliding rear window

Plastic box liner (not sure if OEM)

254,000 km (~158,000 miles)

Every body panel has either rust or multiple small dents, *every* panel.

Driver side cab corner shot, not sure about pass side

he told me today that the tranny has started slipping recently

The seat is covered so I don't know if that means the original is ripped or just protected.

I already know to check the floorboards. There are some rust spots on the body so I'm anticipating rust on the floorboards, if not some small holes. He is not a car guy so I think maintenance has been little to none in the years that he's had it.

I think he's had the truck for 5-10 years or so. The same family member who knows him also knows the original owner from way back in the day. But I think there was another owner or two in between them, not sure, it really doesn't matter.

OK I guess I'm really just interested in hearing other people's thoughts, both about the transmission slipping issue, and any other general issues. I'm pretty familiar now with the Renix truck, not so much with the HO.  I was thinking that the trans slipping issue could be that he bumped the power/comfort switch to the comfort position, but I have to go in assuming it's worse than that. I will check the switch position though. I really don't think it was maintained well so I'm going in kind of assuming that it's a mechanical problem.

If I was to buy this one, I would definitely sell my '88. The body on my 88 is overall in better shape but I prefer the color combo of the red one. My Comanche is not a daily driver, it's just a fun project vehicle.

Now for pics (the first pic is from last year, the rest are from this past winter):

11210056566_29a478b3ec_c.jpg

11761887564_3f462022c7_c.jpg

15195497466_fa8589e3f3_c.jpg

15031944117_12acc0d860_c.jpg

15031940478_6b58c4171e_c.jpg

15218218022_ecfcd383fa_c.jpg[/url]

15031834730_e82591c1e2_c.jpg

Any more thoughts on the trans that is slipping? Honestly if I buy it I'd probably leave it 2WD, can't say for sure yet.

Is it easy to convert a 4WD trans (easy to find) into a 2WD one? I find lots of XJ Cherokees in the junkyard so I think the trans will be easy enough to find, but they're all 4WD.

Being a 91 2WD would the trans be an AW4?

In my sig is a link for the 2wd to 4wd conversion and SOA on a '91 SWB Pioneer much like that. In running condition with less rust than that one but with cosmetic only crash damage I paid $400 for it. I have had it for over three years and 10,000 miles by only changing tires/rims.

Having had both Renix & HO MJ's I prefer the HO system for its simplicity and power. However rust repair is difficult and expensive to do correctly. If I had a functioning '88 with a decent body sticking with that one instead of rusted out truck with the potential for major component like a tranny failing would be a no brainer for me.

If this guy has owned this for 5-10 years there is no way he accidentally bumped the switch from power to comfort and that the difference is enough to make him think the tranny is slipping. #1 the difference is not nearly that great and #2 you would think he had become curious and flipped that switch a time or two at some point and would realize that.

Such thinking about the tranny and body makes me think that you are caught up in the euphoria of a new purchase but remember that is probably the #1 cause of buyer's remorse.

Looks decent enough if the price is right and the slipping trans can easily be swapped out as said with a 4WD version or if your mechanically inclined

merge the 2WD and 4WD transmissions to convert a 4WD to 2WD and if not comfortable in doing it yourself then Drop them at a tranny Shop...

Here is a Breakdown of the AW4 and since you have the 2WD version already then you have the only parts that I believe are different and that looks like the tail housing and output shaft..

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/Catalog-pdf/A340.pdf

I would give it a try or Just have the 2WD AW4 rebuilt...

The "pros" in my mind of this 91 are:

- obd-i can flash trouble codes

- I like the red/grey combo better

- air conditioning

- bed liner (bed could be in nice shape underneath)

- 91s are a little more rare - hardly ever see HO Comanches here, the other 2 I know of in town are both 87/88's.

- original paint/decals means it's likely never been in a major accident

I read somewhere that you can unplug the TCU and then manually shift the trans to help narrow down if the trans issue is mechanical or electrical. I realistically don't think I could try that during a test drive... I'm thinking if it is an electrical issue it should be a lot cheaper fix...?

I had not thought of that, I could install a 4WD transmission and transfer case and not swap out the axle. I already have a newer 4x4 and I do not go off-roading at all.

However rust repair is difficult and expensive to do correctly. If I had a functioning '88 with a decent body sticking with that one instead of rusted out truck with the potential for major component like a tranny failing would be a no brainer for me.

If this guy has owned this for 5-10 years there is no way he accidentally bumped the switch from power to comfort and that the difference is enough to make him think the tranny is slipping. #1 the difference is not nearly that great and #2 you would think he had become curious and flipped that switch a time or two at some point and would realize that.

Such thinking about the tranny and body makes me think that you are caught up in the euphoria of a new purchase but remember that is probably the #1 cause of buyer's remorse.

When I looked a little closer I realized that the rust on the box is very comparable to the rust on my truck box. My truck has some rust bubbling over the wheel wells (flares) whereas the 91 does not. So the only rust difference is the cab, my 88 has good cab corners and rockers, whereas the cab corners would need to be replaced on the 91 if I bought it (maybe/probably the rockers too). The rust on the box I would all be able to fix myself though.

I will have to wait and see about the trans, I'm going over on Tuesday afternoon to drive it and look it over more closely.

Yeah I'm trying not to get overly excited, I'm trying to think about things carefully before I get there and check it out and then get all hooked on it LOL.

I took a look at the Jeep today. Overall it's a pretty solid truck. The big thing of course was the slipping trans.

It slips at takeoff, but it runs fine through the gears. I warmed it up (drove it), checked the fluid when it was parked on a level surface.... and the fluid didn't even show up on the dipstick. The owner is a friend so he said he'd add some fluid in there anyway, but I said that could be all it is.

Since it runs fine other than off-the-line I'm thinking the trans issue is minor. Also, the trans output seal is leaking all over so I know where the fluid went LOL The owner is not mechanical at all.

That showed also by the almost plugged up air filter, black as tar oil, and empty coolant overflow bottle. Truck needs a good dose of TLC!

Oh and I need to decide soon because he has the name/phone number of 1 or 2 other people who have knocked on his door to ask about the truck. There is no sign in it but he lives across the street from a high school. Since he's a family friend he called me first ;-)

A few other minor observations:

- Left signal does not work (comes on solid, does not blink or turn off)

- Needs oil change badly

- Starts faster and runs quieter than my '88

- Floor board rust not as bad as I expected, may not need full replacement panels. One side probably won't need any welding, just cleanup, other side may need smaller patch panel. Of course you don't know until you really tear into it.

- Trans power switch does not light up, seems to rock both ways, did not test to see the difference

- Shift position indicator out of alignment, shifter rubber handle part falling off

- Headliner sagging on two ends a bi

- No trans leak but engine is leaking from oil cap and valve cover. I think RMS is OK as bottom end isn't overly greasy

- Needs tires

- Needs seat re-upholstered.

- Brake proportioning valve danging (no rod)

- Heater/AC fan only works on high

- Fluid seepage on rear diff (not dripping, not leaking) pinion seal OK

- Will need passenger side rocker, both cab corners (probably drivers rocker too) otherwise just a few small rust patches on the box that all seem repairable (DIY)

He gave me 'til Friday to say whether I'll take it or not. I'm going to think about it for a day or so here and decide.

I did a search and there was a TSB saying you could use ATF+4 in Chrysler transmissions in the MJ, but the AW4 is not Chrys. Then later, they revised the TSB and removed Comanches from that TSB completely. So Mercon III Dexron is what you're supposed to use.

I texted the current owner, he added a quart and a half and he said it now shifts like new. So good news, looks like the immediate trans problem is solved. If I buy it I'd still drain/fill the trans a time or two.