What is this sound coming from my engine?

That is the **exact** same noise my truck made when I got it. Pushing the clutch in and out made my noise change slightly too, just like yours.

Easy fix, order a Dorman 594-018, get the remover/installer tool from the local auto parts store that loans tools for free and have at 'er.

You can confirm that your balancer is rubbing by looking on the backside of it from underneath. If it's shiny and has scrape marks like mine, you need to replace it (click my thread below for pics). Some guys have had the belt rub on the timing cover but it would sound a bit different.

If you change it from underneath you only have to remove the skid plate (if you have one) and the rubber flap (if it hasn't been ripped off). It's a little tight for space but totally doable to change it from underneath.

While you're there replace the front crankshaft seal on the timing cover.

Here's my thread: http://comancheclub.com/topic/42452-uh-oh-i-think-the-harmonic-balancer-is-bad/

That is the **exact** same noise my truck made when I got it. Pushing the clutch in and out made my noise change slightly too, just like yours.

Easy fix, order a Dorman 594-018, get the remover/installer tool from the local auto parts store that loans tools for free and have at 'er.

You can confirm that your balancer is rubbing by looking on the backside of it from underneath. If it's shiny and has scrape marks like mine, you need to replace it (click my thread below for pics). Some guys have had the belt rub on the timing cover but it would sound a bit different.

If you change it from underneath you only have to remove the skid plate (if you have one) and the rubber flap (if it hasn't been ripped off). It's a little tight for space but totally doable to change it from underneath.

While you're there replace the front crankshaft seal on the timing cover.

Here's my thread: http://comancheclub.com/topic/42452-uh-oh-i-think-the-harmonic-balancer-is-bad/

Thanks Guys,

I'll confirm the HB is bad when I get a chance to crawl under there.

I did grab and shake it, but it's on there pretty tight from when I can muscle.

You seem pretty convinced that is the issue; thanks again.

In you older thread you may have mentioned the Dorman HB is of lesser quality than another brand...which is the one to get?

How long does this approximately take? Is it terrible to drive it around until this weekend when i can go after it?

Thanks!

I've had no problems with my Dorman, I would recommend that one. I picked Dorman based on price mainly.

You're fine to drive another week or two, no problem. I drove mine like that for over a month I think it was, and it was doing it when I bought the truck so who knows how long it was in need of repair.

It took me quite a while to do the whole process because I had a hell of a time getting the old front crank oil seal out. I had to buy a tool, try different things etc. which added time. Replacing the balancer is totally a DIY job with that remover/installer kit.

This isn't a real great video but it should give you an idea on the process (remember do it from underneath so you have to remove next to nothing):