tips for refreshing fuel system?

Ok since it has been at least a year since my '88 has been started how do i refresh the fuel system before trying to start it? I have not gotten the fuel sending unit to respond yet. I reground the ground behind the tail light, Thank Y'all for that one! Can i jump the resistor to see if it is the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Ho Mama! pretty sure i have found the problem!

And this is after a thorough cleaning! I wish I had taken pics of it before! Yippee can't wait to get that tank off and see the innards!

So What is my best option on the sending unit? I've read here that it's nearly impossible to find one for this '88 shortbed 4.0. Anyone out there wanna part with one? I don't know if a float/sending unit will even reattach to this mess.

New tank is $100 on rock auto. Might be worth it.

If my tank is shot(haven't pulled it yet) or not would replacing it get me to a newer version fuel sending unit? The rock auto tank doesn't specify availability of replacement sending unit.

Thanks Mitch

There is no replacement sending unit for our trucks, only way you'll find one is junkyard, or someone who's parting a truck out. The other option is I've seen on here before that there's a company you can send your old sending unit out to and they'll completely rework it, replacing/rebrazing tubes to seal them replacing bad fuel level floats and what not. The other option is to get a new tank without the slosh pan inside it and use a cherokee sending unit which is a mirrored image of the mj sender.

Thanks Dave, pulled the tank this morning. Check out these pics!

Well it looks fine from here:

OK how about a little iPhone investigating...

Uh Oh!

Is it possible that someone Cooked a Turkey in here!

Looks Wonderful, Lets see what it feel like...

Lets dig a little deeper after rattling the tank and giving it a few smacks...

2 Handfulls and i cry Uncle!

So I think this tank is not gonna make it. If anyone has a different opinion I would love to hear it. Certainly didn't leak! If it could be salvaged then I'm saddled with finding a fuel sending unit that is out of production. So what are the pitfalls of the baffle-less/slosh pan-less tank and the Cherokee sending unit? Are there any other tank/sending unit combos that will operate and fit properly?

Okay so Dan at Tri-Star the fuel sending unit guy quoted $185 to refurb the sending unit. Said he was in the middle of another 88 MJ unit as we spoke. Price doesn't include a pump. So I need a Bosch I gather? The tank is $100. So what else do I need to consider replacing to get some fresh quality fuel burnin in this project. Injectors? Plugs? Cap, rotor, wires? Also what is the part that is attached to the topside of the tank? Is it something that needs replacing? Looks like it maybe a vacuum line.

Yes, I'm in the middle of a project w/o manuals and a small pile of skills!

The parts in the top are the roll over valves, in normal operation they allow the gas fumes to escape and go to the charcoal canister if the vehicle is rolled over they close off to prevent fuel from spilling out. They can normally be re-used but the rubber seal usually wears out on them causing a loose fit. If you replace the tank, get the sender refurbed, I would replace the inline filter and injectors as well. The rest of it is normal tune up items that should be done on a regular maintenance schedule.

I read a review on Dodgesweptline about using plain apple cider vinegar to remove rust and varnish from a fuel sender. I figure it should work for a fuel rail as well.

All he did was buy a gallon of vinegar, filled up a plastic tub the part fit in, soaked the part for 24-48 hours and it ate most of the rust off along with the varnish.

It's worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks metrictonner! yep I pulled the fuel filter while dropping the tank; poured out some of the gravy! and marked that down on the "to get" list. The return line nipple? is that on the sending unit inside the tank or are we talking bout the two relief valves nippled into the top of the tank?