why does my coolant temp sensor cause high idle?

When reading, keep on mine I have a 98 motor and renix wiring.

So, I have been having high idle. I haven't had a chance to do the c101 elimination yet, but I've narrowed the high idle down to something unrelated I think. When I unplug the sensor, it idles normal. Doesn't matter if I start it warm or cold. If the sensor is plugged in when I start it, it idles above 2000 rpm.

I have no o2 sensor connected right now. Is this the reason? I know the renix motors had 2 separate sensors for gauges and for engine management. Is thus a problem with using the old wiring?

Any insight is appreciated.

Mitch

P.s. I'm putting an o2 sensor in now if thats the problem.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok....so common sense got the best of me I think. Renix era didn't have a temp sensor up by the upper radiator hose. It was on the block. Is the plug for that a 2 prong setup? I'm thinking it may be because I'm trying to run the gauge off the same plug as the temp sensor.

Think the knock sensor was a renix only item.  There is no knock sensor in the Chrysler electronic controls.  Guess that is why it is not plugged in???  You have the 1998 block, so no place for the knock sensor.  Sorry, but I have no help on your high idle issue.

Think the knock sensor was a renix only item. There is no knock sensor in the Chrysler electronic controls. Guess that is why it is not plugged in??? You have the 1998 block, so no place for the knock sensor. Sorry, but I have no help on your high idle issue.

Alright. Cool. Thanks.

I think high idle was due to wiring/sensors plugging up but not being "right"

I jumped.only the power side of the plug, and now the gauge works without high idle. my concern now is with air/fuel ratio.

• 2 weeks later...