Starts then shuts off immediately (86 2.5l 4x4)

Doesn't have a rail but he can borrow a pressure gauge from autozone and remove the plug from the driver's side of the throttle body and test that way.

Like someone said above - unhook your fuel supply line from the back of the TB (using a line wrench) and connect a length of hose to it, into a bucket.  See if fuel is pouring out.  A new fuel pump doesn't always mean a good fuel pump.  And some people's idea of "new" is older than you think.

• 1 month later...

So fuel pressure was to low. I was removing the fuel pump and upon removal I noticed the soft line on the fuel pump pump wasn't attached. I immediately re-attached it and the tossed everything back together and it started up like a champ.

Thank you everyone for all your advice.

Or even the rubber hose that connects at the fuel pump....

When I first was diagnosing a no start on my truck

I out starter fluid to start it but it had the same issues as you...

Then I took off the fuel filter to see if the pump was priming/pumping fuel I noticed no fuel delivery....

Then when I finally got around to dropping the tank and taking out the sending unit...

The rubber hose that helps transfer the fuel delivery was torn apart....

Hmmmm....lol

I'm glad you got it fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm looking to bump this thread, because I had the same issue, but with an extra issue. 

My fuel delivery is messed up too, but it's not due to the rubber hose on the pump itself inside the tank. I replaced the hose there, as well as checked the fuel filter to make sure it's free-flowing (which it is), and when the fuel pump is engaged, it sounds like it is feeding into the throttle body. 

Here's the issue: I have to use a jumper wire on the fuel pump relay socket to get the fuel pump to engage on its own. The main ground for the pump is super shiny and clean, but when I have the original relay in the socket, it just constantly clicks, and when I have a new relay in the socket, nothing happens at all. The only way the fuel pump primes is by a fused jumper cable from pin 30 to pin 87. 

At first, when the original relay was in the relay socket, I could pour fuel into the throttle body, and it would start up like a champ, only to die after the fuel had been burned off. Now, it's starting to struggle to even do that with the original relay in.

With the jumper cable priming the fuel tank, the engine will not fire at all. It will constantly try to crank, but it will not fire for some reason. 

I have not tried the fuel pressure yet, but that is on my list for the next time I see my truck. Also may check spark plugs to see if they got fuel-logged from the fuel pump constantly priming before cutting it off.

If anyone has any words of wisdom, I'm all ears. I've been trying to remedy the problem for four days...

SoCalManche, you already have a lengthy thread going to discuss your issue, and you have several people who are trying to help you. There is NOTHING to be gained by dredging up a five-year old thread to ask about the same problem you already have under discussion.

I'm closing this thread. If you are asking about a different issue, contact me or one of the other moderators and explain to us why this thread should be reopened.

• Eagle locked this topic