San Juans, 2014

87Warrior

I have just finished a week wheeling the San Juans again. Even though I have been to the area a dozen times, it never gets old. I saw 4 MJs on the trip and one JK Brute. One black MJ I saw from NM was especially sharp as it scooted past me near Animas Forks. Unfortunately it evaded being photographed as my camera was still mounted to the dash.

While I don't have many pics uploaded yet, I couldn't help but to share this one with the club. I still do not know why folks get so worked up over the Poughkeepsie Gulch trail. All rigs made it, including a stock Rubi. First time I tried it with a truck :)

• 4 weeks later...
This is my official San Juan trail report for this year, the first week of August. I love the San Juans. Even though I have visited a dozen times, I am always eager to return. I must admit, I did get exceptionally lazy this trip with my photography. Most of the pictures were taken with my phone mounted to the dash.

Every trip starts at home. Preparing to start the 14 hour drive westward @ 5:00AM.

During the last climb to Silverton out of Durango, the Cummins developed a big exhaust leak and lost power. The EGT probe came out of the manifold. One pair of melted leather gloves later it is back together.

Day 1 – Corkscrew, Hurricane, California, Animas Forks

Resting at the worst smelling forest service restroom on Corkscrew

View of Lake Como at the base of Hurricane and California

Coming down California to Animas Forks. The Alpine Tundra is spectacular

The restored Bay Window House at Animas Forks

Day 2 – Black Bear, Telluride and Imogene

The starting point. Cue C.W. McCall.

Stopped at a lookout partway up. We could hear sheep, but couldn’t see them

The Black Bear Pass summit

Making our way down the trail towards the ever famous shelf road

At the bottom enjoying the mist of Bridal Veil Falls

After enjoying lunch in the Telluride Town Park, our journey continued up Imogene 

A nice view of the MCAI at the Imogene Pass lookout point

Due to the soggy conditions, we skipped out on Governors and Yankee Boy this trip. The sun was shining in Silverton though! Peaceful camp.

…at least for a while…

Day 3 – Animas Forks side of Engineer, Lake City, Cinnamon

A rainy start up Engineer from Animas Forks

Looking down valley towards Animas Forks

More Alpine Tundra

Jeep wave!

Right turn a head. To the Engineer Pass summit

Rounding a bend as we approach the summit

On the Lake City side of Engineer Pass, Sheep Days were just kicking off. It was still a bit early for mutton stew so we kept on going.

Continuing down Engineer towards Lake City

Lunch, followed by a chocolate malt, at the Lake City Park

Cinnamon Pass is a real easy drive

The little rig on Cinnamon Pass. Runs as well at 12,000ft as it does at 1,100ft

Stopped at the base of Cinnamon near Animas Forks looking towards Silverton

Day 4 – Silverton Ski area to Corkscrew, Ouray side of Engineer, Poughkeepsie, and Hurricane

When going down Corkscrew I saw a dreaded constipated frog KL

Starting up Poughkeepsie

Take a right to go up the wall

The ‘wall’. Little rig had no issues. Rubi was ready to winch if needed

The stock rubi did need a tug to get over the wall (slight newbie behind the wheel). Some of the ‘fun’ lines past the wall

The end of Poughkeepsie at Lake Como

Heading up Hurricane

After a spectacular dinner at camp, my buddy and I decided to check out the Little Giant Basin. Not much to see in the dark

Day 5  - Stony Pass, Pole Creek, then drive to Woodland Park, CO-Home

Starting up the pass, more Alpine tundra

Overlooking the Creede side of the Stony Pass summit

Crossing Pole Creek, headwaters to the Rio Grande

Starting back up the pass from Pole Creek 

Dropping back down towards Silverton

Passing some fellow Jeepers on Highway 50 headed towards Gunnison 

More bugs on the windshield means we are getting closer to home

The sign I always look forward to after having been on the road for 12 hours. The heavily soiled windshield and the good old “Jeep Road” sign outside of Abilene, KS means I am almost home.

You went up to Lake Como?  So did you take La Blanca up there?  Also did you hear about the guy that rolled his jeep on black bear?  

One day I'll go to Telluride Ouray area!

Anyways Always love pictures and video, thanks for reporting.

Thanks for the comments guys!

I think an unofficial CC meeting in the San Juans would be epic. Who's up for it next year!?!?

You went up to Lake Como? So did you take La Blanca up there? Also did you hear about the guy that rolled his jeep on black bear?

You are confusing your Como Lakes. Someday I'd love to do the Como Lake trail in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. Lake Como in the San Juans is just that, a lake ;) I did hear about the JK who went over the edge, about 5 hours after it happened. Those people need to buy some lottery tickets, because they are lucky to be alive let alone uninjured. They went off the trail somewhere within the first 40seconds of the switchback video I posted. The Jeep landed on the only ledge below Ingram Falls. Had they been 20' either direction, they would have taken the fast trip to Telluride....

That U.S. 550 is tamer than I remember from a couple of years ago. Took the Durango-Silverton narrow Gage RR trip one way and a bus trip back down to Durango. Well worth the trip. Liked the Video.

550 only looks tamer because the camera doesn't look down the edge! I took the train ride about 20 years ago with my folks. It was a blast. And sooty.

Sure appreciate the fact that I don't have to drive 500 miles to see the beauty in my back yard. Nice pics.

That is something to appreciate. But, I must confess. I really enjoy the drive on the highway from KS to CO. The drive is part of the excitement. On the way out the Jeep was trailered and I was bored, but I got to drive it home and was thrilled...even with a throwout bearing starting to squeal.

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

BTW: Hit up Mcmaster Carr for some Kevlar gloves, throw them in the glove box and forget them until, you have to reinstall a temp probe, reconnect a blown off intercooler connector, etc.  They don't melt and don't transfer heat... :)

You went up to Lake Como?  So did you take La Blanca up there?  Also did you hear about the guy that rolled his jeep on black bear?  

See that one FB. That JK almost over the edge.