Leaf Spring Shackle Hangers?

Hi all,

I have been having trouble finding an OEM replacement set of rear leaf spring shackle hangers for my '91 swb.  The ones I've seen all show to provide 1.5'' of lift, but I just want a factory style replacement.  I got a new set of leaf springs and figured I should just replace the hangers and hardware at the same time.  Can anyone point me towards a good set to buy?  Thanks.

Ross

I believe you people are reading the OP's post incorrectly? Or maybe I am. He is looking for the "rear leaf spring shackle hangers"  :hmm:  which I interpret to be the frame brackets that the shackles "hang" from, not the shackles themselves. New MJ shackles are pretty easy to find. Perhaps the OP should clarify what he is looking for...............

EDIT:  The OP is looking for the shackles, not the brackets.

I believe you people are reading the OP's post incorrectly? Or maybe I am. He is looking for the "rear leaf spring shackle hangers"  :hmm:  which I interpret to be the frame brackets that the shackles "hang" from, not the shackles themselves. New MJ shackles are pretty easy to find. Perhaps the OP should clarify what he is looking for...............

Sorry, I don't really know what to call them.   :dunno:   I have the new leaf spring and bushing, and the mounting bracket up top looks ok, but I was thinking I need the middle part, the y-shaped bit and possibly the nuts and bolts if they come with it.  Mine has a bit of surface rust and the rubber rings are starting to degrade.  If you guys think they look ok then I'll go ahead and skip it, but I'm gonna have the springs replaced, so it'd be a good time to do it.  Thanks for all your help, I'm admittedly a mechanical doofus but I'm trying to understand everything and order my own parts instead of just taking it to a shop.  Here are a couple links to parts that I don't think will work for me, but give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Crown-Leaf-Spring-Shackles-Hangers-Jeep-Cherokee-Comanche-52000507-/370995786086?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5661127166&vxp=mtr

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Jeep/Comanche/Crown/Leaf_Spring_Shackles_and_Hangers/1991/52000507KHD.html

Thanks again,

Ross

Sorry, I don't really know what to call them.   :dunno:   I have the new leaf spring and bushing, and the mounting bracket up top looks ok, but I was thinking I need the middle part, the y-shaped bit and possibly the nuts and bolts if they come with it.  Mine has a bit of surface rust and the rubber rings are starting to degrade.  If you guys think they look ok then I'll go ahead and skip it, but I'm gonna have the springs replaced, so it'd be a good time to do it.  Thanks for all your help, I'm admittedly a mechanical doofus but I'm trying to understand everything and order my own parts instead of just taking it to a shop.

Your shackles (the Y-shaped middle part) look better than 98 percent of the XJ and MJ shackles I've seen. What you have hardly even qualifies as surface rust. Take 'em off, buff them on a wire brush wheel, and paint 'em up with a couple or three coats of semi-gloss Rusteleum black and they'll be better than new.

The lower bolts through the spring eyes are 14mm, flange head bolts. You won't find those at Lowe's or Home Depot. Considering the lack of rust on your truck, I would have zero hesitation to reuse them. Wire brush them to remove any surface rust, and coat the shanks with anti-seize when reinstalling. Use blue Loctite (not anti-seize) on the thread area.

In your first link -- that photo does NOT look like the XJ shackle on Crown's web site. And -- the same shackle doesn't fit XJs and MJs. And Crown doesn't list one for the MJ. So ...

Second link is a lift shackle, and it doesn't look like a Crown part, either.

Thanks guys, I'll probably pick up a set of those JKS shackles that Jeep Driver just linked to.  I'm gonna have a shop put on the leaf springs, so I won't have a chance to recondition my current ones once they get pulled off.  The plan is to install the new ones, then I'll keep the old ones, brush and paint them, pick up a set of bushings from NAPA, and then keep them for the future or pass them on down the road to someone else who may need them.  Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the help.

Ross

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got these JKS shackles in the mail, and went out to compare them to the originals, and these new ones are an inch longer and look like they will lift the truck in the rear.  The description says that the shackles shouldn't provide any lift on a Comanche, but you can tell by the picture that they are not the same as the originals.  Back to the drawing board I guess, will probably just use the originals.

Those shackles will lift only 1/2" over what you have now. Can you live with that?

It wouldn't be the end of the world, but the truck already has a bit of a rake on it.  I think I could compensate with some bigger coil springs up front (Upcountry XJ coils?), but I haven't given it much thought as I'd planned on keeping it at the same height.  I called Morris 4x4 to see if they had any other options, and they said they'd contact JKS to see what they said.  It's probably much ado about nothing, but the description online did say that these shackles wouldn't lift a Comanche.  

Return the JKS shackles, buy a small manual wire brush and a small, cup-style power wire brush. Brush 'em up in place, apply two coats of Rustoleum, then let the shop do their thing. When you get it back, touch up any nicks they put in the paint and add a third coat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well, uh...the link that Jeep Driver provided says 1" lift on MJ.

Sorry for the late reply.  Morris 4x4 customer service was great.  I sent them the pictures and they set me up with an RA number for the return, got a refund no problem, and they updated their website as well.  I give them high marks.