Running out of Gas | What are the Symptoms?

I fear I might have ran out of gas today. I have never ran out of gas before, so I want to figure out if that's what happened before I start doing extensive troubleshooting.

I first noticed it when I accelerated from a stop sign. In short, the Jeep was idling fine. It would sit there idling and the engine was purring like a kitten. When I put it in gear and I took my foot off the clutch, it would bog down and try to shut off. I quickly reacted to keep it running by putting it in neutral. Had to do this every 10 seconds, because if I kept it in gear too long, it would try to shut off.

This got worse as I continued driving. At one point it shut off! It started up right away, but as soon as I put it in gear and started to move, it would bog down and try to shut off.

I managed to get to the side of the road and park. I suspected maybe no gas! I walked to a gas station and got a 2-gallon tank, filled it up and started up. It was fine then! No bogging down or stalling. I continued my drive home without issue.

Is this a common symptom of running out of gas? My gauge said ~1/5 of a tank, but its possible it was lying to me, because I usually never go below 1/4 so I don't know what empty looks like.

Thanks for the advice!

I know there's lots of info out there about troubleshooting engine shut-off issues. I plan on doing some troubleshooting and testing still, I really am just curious if you guys think that I could have ran out of gas or not.

I'm not looking to start another "My Jeep keeps Shutting Off, Help" thread :P.

"I managed to get to the side of the road and park. I suspected maybe no gas! I walked to a gas station and got a 2-gallon tank, filled it up and started up. It was fine then! No bogging down or stalling. I continued my drive home without issue."

Your fuel level may have been just deep enough to cover the pick-up. When you moved the truck the fuel may have sloshed toward the back of the tank, starving the pump. I'd say you ran out of gas but it wouldn't hurt to change your fuel filter if you haven't changed lately.

Ever change your fuel filter? Might be due.

I'd say you ran out of gas but it wouldn't hurt to change your fuel filter if you haven't changed lately.

Thanks guys. Fuel filter hasn't been changed in a long time. I will put that on the to-do list (like, now :wrench:).