Fun with the camera

knever3

Is your truck running now?

Yeah it is, I have either another cracked flexplate or another ticking noise to sort through.  I haven't dedicated time to it quite yet.  I got a lot sorted out though, just the noise that's the only problem left on the dockett.

• 2 weeks later...

What is there to critique? That truck is gawgus.  :bowdown:     BTW, are you glad you went with a stroker? Built or Bought?

I'll let you know after I take it back to the engine builder.  We spec'd out nearly every part, but there is a tick I can't ignore.  In my experience I'd rather have my frustration and money back and went elsewhere.  LONG story, if I would do it again I would choose a little bit different build.  I am used to motors that rev quicker and more freely, this motor is the opposite of that.  With the 12 CW crank it revs slow but when it does it gets going quickly.

I would rather have done a LS swap, but the money would have been 3 times what I wanted to pay.  To be honest the 3800 SC from my Grand Prix would be awesome.  In the end I wanted it to look stock and that's what I have.  You know how many people walked by the back of the truck and said "4.7L, how did they put that in there?"  Once they noticed the engine looked stock and the valve cover said 4.0L they just walked away because they don't know that a 4.0 could be punched out to a 4.7L. 

What is there to critique? That truck is gawgus.  :bowdown:     BTW, are you glad you went with a stroker? Built or Bought?

I'll let you know after I take it back to the engine builder.  We spec'd out nearly every part, but there is a tick I can't ignore.  In my experience I'd rather have my frustration and money back and went elsewhere.  LONG story, if I would do it again I would choose a little bit different build.  I am used to motors that rev quicker and more freely, this motor is the opposite of that.  With the 12 CW crank it revs slow but when it does it gets going quickly.

I would rather have done a LS swap, but the money would have been 3 times what I wanted to pay.  To be honest the 3800 SC from my Grand Prix would be awesome.  In the end I wanted it to look stock and that's what I have.  You know how many people walked by the back of the truck and said "4.7L, how did they put that in there?"  Once they noticed the engine looked stock and the valve cover said 4.0L they just walked away because they don't know that a 4.0 could be punched out to a 4.7L. 

12cw = great for offroad. Slow revving with lots of momentum, it weighs 60 freakin lbs :eek: . Oddly enough the 4cw is the more common and is far more friendly to a typically street driven truck. Much snappier revving.

I have heard both horror stories and heavenly stories about people building 4.0 strokers. I was literally days away from pulling the trigger on building a stroker for my MJ as well; money in the machinist's hand, parts delivered to his shop, block, crank, rods, head, everything, the whole sha-bang. Everything was perfect, until i found out i had lost my scholarship for college. It drained every last penny from my stroker funds (entire years worth of saving) to pay for a single lousy semester. Easily the most painful thing i have forced myself to do. I will have my 4.7 i swear it! :fs1:  or an ls1, that would be fine ;)

Anyway, what combo are you running?

4.2 rods with 4.0 pistons

or

4.0 rods with Keith black or Diamond or Ross or Bulltear pistons

The folks over at jeepstrokers.com say that if you can swing it, the 4.0 rods are the best way to go because they are slightly longer and allow for less severe rod angles. But most people can't, because it requires pistons with extra high/custom wrist pins. I could go into more detail, but i am pretty sure you know what i am talking about.

Also\

Whats your compression ratio?

Any pinging issues?

Cooling upgrades?

Engine management?

Did you need to add a FPR?

Such shiny paint! *Drools*

I have the four counter weight 4.2L crankshaft in my stroker and no mechanical fan on it. It is very snappy with RPM changes and the AW4 shifts through it nicely as well. The 4CW is what I would recommend for any of them just because of how fun it is.

12cw = great for offroad. Slow revving with lots of momentum, it weighs 60 freakin lbs :eek: . Oddly enough the 4cw is the more common and is far more friendly to a typically street driven truck. Much snappier revving.

I have heard both horror stories and heavenly stories about people building 4.0 strokers. I was literally days away from pulling the trigger on building a stroker for my MJ as well; money in the machinist's hand, parts delivered to his shop, block, crank, rods, head, everything, the whole sha-bang. Everything was perfect, until i found out i had lost my scholarship for college. It drained every last penny from my stroker funds (entire years worth of saving) to pay for a single lousy semester. Easily the most painful thing i have forced myself to do. I will have my 4.7 i swear it! fist%20shake%201.gif  or an ls1, that would be fine ;)

Anyway, what combo are you running?

4.2 rods with 4.0 pistons

or

4.0 rods with Keith black or Diamond or Ross or Bulltear pistons

KB ICON forged pistons

4.0L rods

The folks over at jeepstrokers.com say that if you can swing it, the 4.0 rods are the best way to go because they are slightly longer and allow for less severe rod angles. But most people can't, because it requires pistons with extra high/custom wrist pins. I could go into more detail, but i am pretty sure you know what i am talking about.

Also\

Whats your compression ratio?

9.5:1

Any pinging issues?

Nope

Cooling upgrades?

Stock, no issues mechanical cooling fan, haven't installed the electric secondary.  Waiting to install my A/C condensor.

Engine management?

Stock Renix with a wideband O2 sensor, readout in the cab

Did you need to add a FPR?

Running Hesco AFPR