The Come Back Kid

So it's been a few years since I have owned anything Jeep.  Got the bug for another Comanche, and started my search.  Just picked up a 91 lwb, 2x4, 4.0, AX15, as far as I can tell base model.  It's a little more rough then I thought, but nothing too extreme.  The DS floor pan is rusted through in a few spots. as well as both rear fenders.  It's been sitting for a bit so it's going to take a little work.  Pretty sure the rear diff is shot, and it needs a battery. 

Plans are to get it road worthy, and drive it as is for a bit.  Fix the rust along the way, and as things break I'll upgrade them.  Plan to do a 4x4 swap in the pretty near future with an AW4 and maybe a 242 t-case for winter driving.  Overall purpose of the truck is trail truck/ parts runner/ knock around truck.  This will be pretty low budget as I tend to get too deep into my vehicle projects.  Picked it up for $500, and drug it home this morning.  Anyway, enough talk, here's some pics.

And yes, I'm well aware the grill is upside down

Little update.  Got the interior pulled today to check the floors.  They're about what I expected.  Drivers side is going to need to patches, and the passenger looks like it will be good as is.  Also threw a fresh battery in and replaced the battery terminals.  It's got a little bit of an extended crank, but runs pretty decent for sitting as long as it has.  Motor seems to be in good shape for having 280xxx miles, pretty minimal blow-by.  I plan to do a full tune up in the next few days.  I plan to move this along pretty quickly to get it back to being road worthy.  Still need to hunt down a fairly local rear axle to put in for the time being.  Any way, here's a few pics of the ol' girl.

So here's my parts rig, a super clean 92 2 door XJ.  It was hit head on and fubar'd the unibody.  I'll be using almost all the drivetrain parts off of it as well as a couple odds and ends.  Once I get everything inventoried I'll be putting all the unused parts up for sale.  Also, did a tune up yesterday.  The spark plugs were OLD, very old.  Starts a lot easier now.  Here's some pics of the XJ.  I'm pretty excited about it.

• 4 weeks later...

So not really an update. Started a new job a few weeks ago and haven't had much time to work on this thing. Got the rear out of the XJ and a few other parts. Currently fighting a rusted on wheel, but I've decided I'm going to just pull the axle with the tire on. Will be slightly annoying, but shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully I can get some more progress soon

• 2 weeks later...

Well, made a little progress this weekend. Finally got the rear axle out, and managed to get a lot of the XJ torn apart and sold some parts to help recoup some of my money. Hopefully next weekend I can get the straight beam outta the Manch and swap in the D30. We shall see. Not much to really see as far as pics just yet

• 2 weeks later...

A little update with a couple pics.  Rear end is out of the MJ and perches are on order for the 8.25.  While I wait for those to come in I plan to cut out the rust on the rear wheel wells and clean up the floors to get ready for patch panels.

Axle out

Rust doesn't go up as high as the bondo is.  Plan to run TJ flares on the it so a little extra wheel well is fine with me.

And here is the state of the parts XJ.  Still some stuff left to pull, but I've made almost all my money back so I'm happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a decent update.  Got the 8.25 prepped, perched welded on, and painted.  Also, did some rust removal and a few other small things.  Need to order a few parts, and I'll be able to at least move it up and down the driveway.  Driver side bed was worse then I thought, so I had to take more metal then planned, but it will be mostly a trail rig so I'm not too worried about it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally getting some warm temps here. Got a few small things done. Also found a deal on tires I couldn't pass up. BFG KM's (my favorite tire) 32x11.50x15 in damn good shape for just a touch over $250 5 minutes from my house. Can't beat used tire prices.

• 1 month later...

Got some more work done. Pulled the d30 from the donor and pulled the straight beam from the MJ. Also started installing the RE drop brackets. Hope to get some time this week to finish the axle install. Then I plan on doing floors and hopefully get it on the road in the next few weeks.