Yamaha Xt 350 Dual Sport

I decided awhile back I needed a more fuel efficient DD, my MJ was definitely not cutting it. I present my "new" 91 Yamaha XT 350 Dual Sport. Fun to drive, great off road, street legal AND over 70 MPG. She hits 85, more than enough speed for a daily commute.

I have very little riding experience, don't even have a bike license yet, but this bike is a great place to learn. Quick, agile, light and a hell of alot of fun on and off road. Single cylinder, 350cc, dual cam, air cooled "thumper", apparently just as bullet proof as our beloved 4.0s. She needs a bit of work aesthetically, but runs perfectly with a recently rebuilt carb. I'm proud to call her my own.

The tool box on my MJ prevents me from hauling the bike in my bed, so I recruited the help of a buddy of mine who just got his MJ:

upkDBro.jpg

fLtnyrk.jpg

Anyone here have experience with these bikes? Look forward to documenting the work I put into it on here. 

Love the older thumpers. Had a few DTs then bored/stroked an 07 drz400..... If this girl (me) can tinker with them anyone with some wrenching skill can!

Check out thumpertalk.com for most of your needs :)

Guess I've had maybe thirty bikes over the years, and I keep coming back to singles. The simplicity and ease of maintenance is a big plus. And nothing sounds better than a big 4-stroke single at speed. lil_loco, even had a Yammy 400 DT, if that's what you are referring to, but that was the last 2-stroke I ever owned as the auto lube system locked up going across the steel grate York River bridge in VA and nearly ended it all for me.

This is the latest:

Image Not Found

A custom German 500cc MZ Silver Star Rotax I cafe-ed. Build thread:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/17134-mz-rotax-cafe-racer-project/page-2?hl=thumper

Recently sold it, and am looking for a nice BSA Gold Star to play with now.

PFCLeist, since you are a new rider, beware of knobby tires on the wet. I've had a few dual purpose bikes, my favorite was a Honda XLR 650, but I'll never have another. The dual purpose bikes incorporate the best and worst from each world and they don't meet - the knobby tires will get you sooner or later on the street, and I have several broken bones to prove it. Get a street bike or an moto to suit your purpose. Sounds like a good street thumper would be best for you at this time mate.

Love the older thumpers. Had a few DTs then bored/stroked an 07 drz400..... If this girl (me) can tinker with them anyone with some wrenching skill can!

Check out thumpertalk.com for most of your needs :)

Glad to hear! Seems almost too simple, actually. And that website is exactly what I needed, thanks. 

PFCLeist, since you are a new rider, beware of knobby tires on the wet. I've had a few dual purpose bikes, my favorite was a Honda XLR 650, but I'll never have another. The dual purpose bikes incorporate the best and worst from each world and they don't meet - the knobby tires will get you sooner or later on the street, and I have several broken bones to prove it. Get a street bike or an moto to suit your purpose. Sounds like a good street thumper would be best for you at this time mate.

I was warned of this, but was also told to specifically look for this bike as a beginner. I'm looking into street tires until I start off roading it more than commuting. I appreciate your concern, absolutely noted. 

That is one neat Comanche.............. very cool :thumbsup:

I'll tell him that! He'll appreciate it. 

I've ridden xt500's, fun bikes. What is that loading ramp you're using?

I'm not sure, actually. It's my buddies, I'll ask next time I see him. I'm in the market for one right now. 

Glad to hear! Seems almost too simple, actually. And that website is exactly what I needed, thanks.

No worries

I prefer riding on more aggressive tires and older dual sport bikes. It's all in your individual comfort. Did most of my on road learning on a drz400sm converted to mostly dirt capable. Knobby tires etc.... Was a blast and never dropped it except once while pushing it into a trailer.

I think you'll love it so long as you respect it. And maybe get some 70/30 rubber.

This bike weighs 350 wet, pretty light and easy to handle. The first to go if it's dropped are the turn signals and brake/clutch handle, not a cheap fix, so here's to hoping I never drop it. 

I did a partial tune up today, most bike shops are closed sunday, so I replaced the spark plug, lubed the chain, bled the brakes, cleaned the air filter, got the tires at the right PSI and learned to remember to put the fuel tank selector to on when starting, haha. Also removed the saddle bags for learning, I'll put em back on when I get a handle on the bike. Just bought insurance last night, title transfer, registration and oil change tomorrow. 

1EWQlAU.jpg

No worries those are the cheap and easy parts to replace! You could take some "flushmount" or mini lights that won't sick out waiting to be shaved away. Also Bush bars are awesome! I like the emgo aluminum frame with black plastic guards

y4uhabed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, that's something to think about! The bike came with brush guards for hands, that'll do for now. Been driving it for a couple weeks now, very conservatively while I'm still learning. I had to teach myself up to this point unfortunately, but the military requires a safety course to be taken at the unit to drive on post, so that'll teach me a hell of alot more than what I can find online. 

I've got a master cylinder rebuild kit on the way, and I'm lookin for a closed cell battery so I don't have to service it. Saddle bags are back on, and driving this thing is a blast. Took it offroad for the first time today to get a feel for it, nothing harsh, just a rocky field. FUN

• 3 months later...

I'd thought this would have been more of a project than it currently is, nothing is wrong with it. Not a problem, for sure, but still, kinda wanted something to wrench on. 

I did replace the tires, change the brakes, replace a clutch line, rebuild the master, but damn it that's all preventative maintenance. Where's that engine rebuild at? 40,000? Well I'm at 14, so...

HLPYDA8.jpg

FMrqzNO.jpg?1