Weird Issues With Dana 30 In The Front....

So today my front axle decided it was gunna drop most of its gear oil out the passenger side of the axle onto the steering knuckle. I have searched forums and google but no luck. Most questions and diagrams and write ups appear to be for a rear 30. Also my truck appears to have factory limited slip front and back hence the few write ups that are available don't work. It appears that the seal that is on the passenger side of vacuum axle lock actuator is bad. I have been to 2 auto parts stores and bought one of every seal they had for this axle and none of seals are the right diameter. Where can i get the seal(s)? if anyone has experience on this axle please share, need all the help i can get

(1) There is no rear Dana 30 axle -- at least, not in a Jeep, and not in any other vehicle I ever heard of.

(2) Jeep never offered a locker in an XJ or an MJ. They offered as an option a limited slip for the rear axle, but not for the front.

I suspect you must have an older MJ with the front central axle disconnect. It's not a locker, all it does is allow the two front wheels to rotate independently, which leaves the differential and front drive shaft doing nothing when in 2WD mode.

I'm pretty certain the seal you need is one of these: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1989-Jeep-Comanche-4WD/Axle-Shaft-Seal-Front/_/N-iuaiqZ6o3am?filterByKeyWord=front+axle+seal&fromString=search

Note that some say they are for the "disconnect" axle, and some are not. I believe you have a disconnect axle, so look at those listings and tell us if one of them looks like your old seal.

That appears to be the correct seal. Apparently this axle is more common in YJs. Thank you for the help I'll let you know how this works. I think its the D710068

Out of curiosity if you could not buy an MJ with limited slip or a locker in the front why does it dig so well?

Out on our construction site last week the 12 ton Pettibone died in the middle of the road. I hooked up and kicked it in 4 wheel drove and after enough wheel spinning I got it moving. Afterwards there was rubber under all 4 four tires. 

and this was when we used the truck to yank a stump

looks like it was digging with all tires to me. 

Any ideas?

No factory lockers were offered. That does not mean that none were ever added to any particular MJ in the intervening 26 years. A rear factory limited slip was an option but that is not the same as a locker. The front was always open in stock form.

Both the YJ and the MJ used the HP D30. It was the only front axle offered in either jeep.

In a few rare instances jeep did in fact offer a rear Dana 30 axle. The '67 Jeepster Commando C101 is one of those instances. Other makes also used it. But examples of these do not even make a blip on the radar of most search engines.

In certain low traction instances even an open diff could turn both axles. As soon as any level of bind is introduced the bias of the diff sends axles one way or another. Rubber under each wheel does not mean that all 4 tires spun at the same time just that all for spun at some time. As the bind shifts from side to side so does the power.

In a few rare instances jeep did in fact offer a rear Dana 30 axle. The '67 Jeepster Commando C101 is one of those instances. Other makes also used it. But examples of these do not even make a blip on the radar of most search engines.

The rear D30 found in some Volvos seems to be the most common place to find one.

Update:

After going to 3 auto parts stores and buying what was supposed to be the right seal I have up and looked online. I found this nifty blow up.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-axle-differential-parts/dana30-front-cherokee-xj.htm

I think the part I need is the #21. Ordered it and it's on the way.

Side note: talked to an old boy that used to work at the Jeep dealer (when it was still Jeep) back in the day (probably the same one the truck was bought at. Weren't a whole lot in So Cal I guess) Anyway he said he remembered the dealers offering a limited slip option on the front of these trucks.

Dunno that could just be a old man blowing wind out his @$$ but he knew about this weird vacuum actuator thing that everyone else keeps looking at me like I'm crazy.

I do think it's a little odd somebody would have bothered to add limited slip to a Dana 30 years later.

Anyone who claims to know anything about jeeps should know about CAD. It was used on several models for several years. Knowing about it isn't much of an indication of in-depth jeep knowledge. Out of curiosity why is it so important that your truck has "factory" lockers? A dealer installed unit would be no different than a home installed unit and isn't factory either or an "option" either. So. Cal has been a hotbed for jeeps for decades and has had numerous dealers for decades a well. A Google shows dozens and dozens. I added a locker to my MJ just last month. Old trucks of lesser value are more likely to be modified. There is still really no indication that your truck has either an LSD or a locker. As you don't know yourself you obviously have not serviced your diffs. It is a cheap operation and you can PST pictures of what you find in there. Many people are confused over CAD vehicles having "lockers" because they don't really understand how the CAD connects the two pieces of the axle together. They hear lock and axle and think diff locker.

Update:

After going to 3 auto parts stores and buying what was supposed to be the right seal I have up and looked online. I found this nifty blow up.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-axle-differential-parts/dana30-front-cherokee-xj.htm

#21 should do it for you.

You will need to make a tool for installing it. What some people do is take a length of threaded rod and attach a few VERY LARGE washers to the end. Slide that into the axle tube from the outer and and use that to tap the new seal into place.

Side note: talked to an old boy that used to work at the Jeep dealer (when it was still Jeep) back in the day (probably the same one the truck was bought at. Weren't a whole lot in So Cal I guess) Anyway he said he remembered the dealers offering a limited slip option on the front of these trucks.

He is remembering incorrectly. Jeep never offered a limited slip in the front Dana 30. Not in the XJ, not in the MJ, not in the ZJ. Maybe his dealership was installing them as a dealer option, but it was not a factory option. I think a front limited slip would create some real handling problems in snow or ice.

Update:

#21 should do it for you.

You will need to make a tool for installing it. What some people do is take a length of threaded rod and attach a few VERY LARGE washers to the end. Slide that into the axle tube from the outer and and use that to tap the new seal into place.

I bought a big piece of all thread with washers and nuts hoping it'll work.

Also I'm 90% it's #21 as well problem is there's 2 #21s and I haven't been able to find my calipers to git in there and measure to figure out which one.

Anyone who claims to know anything about jeeps should know about CAD. It was used on several models for several years. Knowing about it isn't much of an indication of in-depth jeep knowledge. Out of curiosity why is it so important that your truck has "factory" lockers? A dealer installed unit would be no different than a home installed unit and isn't factory either or an "option" either. So. Cal has been a hotbed for jeeps for decades and has had numerous dealers for decades a well. A Google shows dozens and dozens. I added a locker to my MJ just last month. Old trucks of lesser value are more likely to be modified. There is still really no indication that your truck has either an LSD or a locker. As you don't know yourself you obviously have not serviced your diffs. It is a cheap operation and you can PST pictures of what you find in there. Many people are confused over CAD vehicles having "lockers" because they don't really understand how the CAD connects the two pieces of the axle together. They hear lock and axle and think diff locker.

To be honest my basis on the truck having lockers/limited slip is based on when the 12k (6 ton) pettibone ran out of diesel in middle of the road I hooked up kicked it in 4L and left serious rubber under all 4 tires. (But it moved!!!!!)

My previous experience with offroad has been limited to a '69 Toyota FJ40 land cruiser on that when it was it 4x4 only the the driver rear and passenger front tires wanted to dig.

I am a greenhorn and will be the first to admit it. If I was the all knowing 4x4 and MJ expert I wouldn't be on here now would I?

Well the experts are here so..... :rotf:

As the weight on the truck moved and unloaded/loaded the suspension whichever rear tire had the least traction would spin and therefore leave a rubber mark. This is also true of the front axle. It is a common fallacy but a fallacy that only a certain tire ( most of the time it is the passenger rear) will get power in an open rear end. As the dynamic forces change the powered wheel changes. This occurs most often when pulling a heavy load or hauling one and could result in all 4 tires having spun at some point..but just not at the same time.  Just tromping it and going will generally not cause the loading/unloading that would result in the power shift. 

you might want to get more than one seal. my 1st attempt at installing it sent me back to the parts store for another one. if your lucky enough to get it on the 1st go round then you have a spare

Well the experts are here so..... :rotf:

As the weight on the truck moved and unloaded/loaded the suspension whichever rear tire had the least traction would spin and therefore leave a rubber mark. This is also true of the front axle. It is a common fallacy but a fallacy that only a certain tire ( most of the time it is the passenger rear) will get power in an open rear end. As the dynamic forces change the powered wheel changes. This occurs most often when pulling a heavy load or hauling one and could result in all 4 tires having spun at some point..but just not at the same time. Just tromping it and going will generally not cause the loading/unloading that would result in the power shift.

So for future reference how would I tell if a truck had limited slip/lockers all the way around? Is there an easy test? Supposedly there is a limited in the rear (unless somebody swapped it out or broke it). I was cleaning out the glove box and found an warning inside the glove box.....

So for future reference how would I tell if a truck had limited slip/lockers all the way around? Is there an easy test? Supposedly there is a limited in the rear (unless somebody swapped it out or broke it). I was cleaning out the glove box and found an warning inside the glove box.....

The only way to know for certain is to remove the diff cover and look. With the factory type LSD, the clutches could have worn out, so jacking up one wheel and seeing if will turn will only tell you if you have a functioning LSD, it won't show a LSD with the clutches worn out. And the gear type LSD (such as the TrueTrac) won't react to the "spin one wheel" test like the clutch types will.

• 2 weeks later...

So after waiting for my seals to arrive (I stupidly choose the cheapest shipping) I installed it (first try!) with my nifty all thread washer deal. Now when I when back to install the axle I noticed metal shavings in side the axle. It appears to be from a bearing of sorts but once again trying to find it is proving to be a difficult task.

I thought it was #22 but the pieces appear to be more of a bearing than bushing

emy4u7e9.jpg

ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So after waiting for my seals to arrive (I stupidly choose the cheapest shipping) I installed it (first try!) with my nifty all thread washer deal. Now when I when back to install the axle I noticed metal shavings in side the axle. It appears to be from a bearing of sorts but once again trying to find it is proving to be a difficult task.

I thought it was #22 but the pieces appear to be more of a bearing than bushing

emy4u7e9.jpg

ideas?

That is a caged needle bearing  (yes it's steel). It supports the inboard end of the stub shaft.

The bearing is a SCE 108 and the inner seal is a SKF 15843 (or comparable)

(1) There is no rear Dana 30 axle -- at least, not in a Jeep, and not in any other vehicle I ever heard of.

Didn't bother to read the rest of the thread so somebody else might have said it, but there is in other vehicles.  Volvo cars are a good one, they often came factory with a Trac-loc clutch pack limited slip.  You can stick it in a front D30.

Edit, woah, Necro thread.  I should have read it before replying.

He is remembering incorrectly. Jeep never offered a limited slip in the front Dana 30. Not in the XJ, not in the MJ, not in the ZJ. Maybe his dealership was installing them as a dealer option, but it was not a factory option. I think a front limited slip would create some real handling problems in snow or ice.

grand cherokee WJs with quadradrive came with front and rear limited slip

grand cherokee WJs with quadratrac came with front and rear limited slip

Really?